Pediatric Pulmonology Unit
The Pediatric Pulmonology Unit at Sheba Medical Center offers a comprehensive range of diagnostic techniques and progressive treatments for children with chronic and acute lung disease. Our approach to treating pediatric pulmonary disease is based on close collaboration with other departments to provide care for patients with complex medical conditions. Annually, we treat approximately 2,000 patients in this department.
Our multidisciplinary staff includes pediatric pulmonologists, pulmonary nurses, a dietitian, physiotherapists, pediatric psychologists, and a social worker. The National Cystic Fibrosis Center of Israel, the largest center of its kind in the country, is an integral part of Sheba’s Pediatric Pulmonology Unit. No matter what therapy is required, we’re constantly dedicated to improving treatment outcomes and quality of life for children of all ages.
The Edmond and Lily Safra Children’s Hospital
The Pediatric Pulmonology Unit is located within the Edmond and Lily Safra Children’s Hospital, a comprehensive facility at Sheba Medical Center dedicated entirely to children and their families. In this modern hospital, we provide professional medical services within a cheerful, comfortable environment that was designed with kids in mind.
Other departments in the Safra Children’s Hospital include:
- Pediatric Rehabilitation Department
- Pediatric Endocrinology and Diabetes Clinic
- Department of Pediatric Surgery
- The Edmond J. Safra International Congenital Heart Center
- Pediatric Hemato-Oncology Department
- The Claudio Cohen Department of Pediatric Intensive Care
- The Raphael Cohen Pediatric Emergency Department
- The Pediatric Psychosomatic Department
- The Albert Katz Department of Neonatology
- The Weinberg Child Development Center
- The Pediatric Pulmonology Unit
- The Pediatric Metabolic Disease
- The Pediatric Gastroenterology Unit
- The Pediatric Nephrology Unit
- The Pediatric Rheumatology Department
- The Pediatric Infectious Disease Unit
- The Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Unit
- The Institute for Rare Diseases
- The Pediatric Neurology Unit
- The Pediatric Stem Cell Research Institute
- The Institute of Pediatric Cardiology
- The Pediatric Community Medicine Unit
What conditions do we treat?
The Pediatric Pulmonology Unit provides advanced, specialized care for infants, children, and adolescents suffering from diverse and complex lung diseases, including:
- Asthma, including in preschool age children (3-6 years)
- Birth defects
- Bronchopulmonary Dysplasia (BPD)
- Gastroesophageal Reflux (GERD)
- Central Respiratory Disorders and Congenital Central
- Hypoventilation Syndrome (CCHS)
- Cystic Fibrosis (CF)
- Familial Dysautonomia (Riley-Day Syndrome)
- Ataxia Telangiectasia (A-T)
- Atypical Lobular Hyperplasia (ALH)
- Oncology patients with pulmonary involvement
- Sleep disorders
What services do we offer?
Our multidisciplinary clinic offers a full array of services for diagnosing, treating, monitoring, and providing genetic counseling for children with major respiratory disorders. We also monitor and treat chronic patients from Sheba’s Pediatric Rehabilitation Department who suffer from neuromuscular respiratory conditions.
Our services include:
- Comprehensive lung function testing, including spirometry (to measure how much air you can inhale and how quickly you exhale), and provocation testing to detect asthma.
- Nocturnal monitoring of home non-invasive ventilation, a convenient and flexible option for managing respiratory failure.
- Sleep tests, such as polysomnography, to evaluate disorders in children such as obstructive sleep apnea, sleep disturbances due to airway diseases, delayed sleep phase syndrome (DSPS), problems with automated sleep stages, and sleep epilepsy. Our staff also advises parents on sleep habits in infants and young children.
- Bronchoscopy, a direct and extensive assessment of the airways. A physician uses a bronchoscope, a flexible tube that is fit with a camera and optical fibers, to survey the airways for foreign bodies, lung infections, and anatomical abnormalities of the vocal cords and lower airways.
- Transmission electron microscopy to inspect chronic infections of the nasal sinuses and the lung (chronic sinopulmonary disease), performed when there is a suspicion of primary ciliary dyskinesia (PCD), a complex genetic disorder that affects the cilia – tiny, hair-like structures that are found in the lining of the airways, sinuses, and ears.
- Allergy treatment, including the use of innovative and biological therapies.
- Cystic fibrosis testing and multidisciplinary treatment, including the chloride sweat test and monitoring of CF patients after lung transplantation.
- Our Ataxia Telangiectasia Clinic specializes in evaluating and treating patients with this rare hereditary disease. Sheba’s clinic serves as a national registration center for patients with A-T.
- Prenatal consultations regarding congenital lung lesions and high risk pregnancies.
Care for children with an apparent life threatening event (ALTE), including diagnosis, family education, home monitors, and long-term follow-up.
- Sports programs for chronically ill lung patients, as part of our rehabilitation program.
Ori Efrati, MD
Director, Pediatric Pulmonology Unit, Edmond and Lily Safra Children’s Hospital
Prof. Efrati specializes in the treatment of lung disease in children and cystic fibrosis in children and adults. He received his medical degree from the Medical Faculty of the University of Rome, Italy, and trained in pediatrics at Sheba Medical Center. Prof. Efrati has more than 20 years of clinical experience and he has published numerous articles in prestigious scientific journals. He has been a speaker and participant at many international and Israeli medical conferences.
Holistic Healthcare – Focused on Your Child
Our young patients and their families are at the center of every treatment decision we make at the Pediatric Pulmonology Unit. We focus not only on the pulmonary outcome, but also on your child’s comfort and overall well-being. In addition to serving each child and family with world-class medicine, our Sheba team personalizes every treatment program with compassion and attention to the individual’s unique needs – physical, psychological, and social. Multidisciplinary medical treatments, support services, and rehabilitation therapies are provided conveniently on our all-inclusive campus.