Our Children’s Hospital
Nothing is more important than our children and expert pediatric medical care is a necessity for every child. At Sheba Medical Center, caring treatment for our youngest patients is provided through the Edmond and Lily Safra Children’s Hospital. This hospital is wholly dedicated to children and their families and is completely separated from adult patients. It is a treatment center with highly specialized departments that exist to provide children with world class medicine with a personal touch.
The entire Safra Children’s Hospital is oriented towards children. The facilities are brightly decorated with fun pictures and cartoons. The environment is also exceptionally friendly and gentle, with the comfort of our patients and their families at the forefront. Additionally, any procedures that may cause pain or discomfort are always performed with appropriate anesthetic and sedation in order to put our patients at ease and avoid any pain.
The following are some of the holistic services we provide at the Safra Children’s Hospital for the benefit of our patients and their families:
At Sheba Medical Center, we welcome patients from the United States and around the world. To demonstrate our dedication, we provide all of our patients with 360 degree service. This means personalized care that goes far beyond medical needs. We assist with transportation, lodging, interpreters, visas and more. We are also sure to keep our patient’s families in mind at all times, offering them both information and comfort.
This facility is dedicated to the diagnosis and treatment of a wide range of cardiac, valvular, and vascular issues. It includes multiple full catheter laboratories, experts in a variety of medical specialties, and psychological support. It is the largest, most complete institution of its kind in the nation.
This department is directed by Dr. Janna Landa and is responsible for the physical and mental rehabilitation of our child patients. The department offers a variety of services including physiotherapy, speech therapy, psychological therapy, hydrotherapy, and neuropsychological assessments.
Providing diagnosis and treatment of childhood diabetes, obesity, and other hormonal disorders, this clinic is headed by Dr. Orit Pinhas-Hamiel. In addition to diabetes and obesity, the clinic addresses other endocrine issues like thyroid disorders, growth delay and restriction, and sexual differentiation disorders.
This department consists of several surgical subspecialties and provides surgical treatment for a variety of injuries, diseases, and disorders. A multidisciplinary team works hand in hand to provide world class care to all of our young patients. Particular fields of study in this department include esophageal atresia, a congenital defect where the esophagus does not correctly meet the stomach. In order to correct this condition, our expert surgeons utilize a technique where the stomach is pulled up to replace the esophagus and restore proper food movement.
Another field of particular interest for the Department of Pediatric Surgery is high imperforate anus, a condition where the colon is too high in the pelvis, resulting in the formation of a fistula. Our surgeons are currently working with a minimally invasive laparoscopic approach versus a posterior sagittal anoplasty, or surgical reconstruction of the anus.
The leading center for the treatment of childhood cancers in Israel. At Sheba Medical Center in Israel, our Hemato-Oncology Division offers cutting-edge technologies, progressive treatments, and physicians who are world-leaders in cancer therapy. Our medical specialists are highly experienced in treating children who suffer from a wide range of hematologic diseases. We have a premier team of pediatric oncologists, orthopedic surgeons, radiation oncologists, and other specialists who have undergone training at internationally renowned cancer centers.
In addition to those mentioned above, the Safra Children’s Hospital has a multitude of departments, each dedicated to specialized, expert care of our pediatric patients. They are:
- The Claudio Cohen Department of Pediatric Intensive Care – provides critical care for pediatric patients. This facility was the first of its kind in Israel, and includes a sleeping area for parents of patients.
- The Raphael Cohen Pediatric Emergency Department – responsible for urgent medical care and trauma treatment of patients under 18 years of age.
- The Pediatric Hemato-Oncology Department – provides care for childhood cancer patients, including a pediatric hospice. This department sees both outpatients and inpatients and offers a variety of cutting edge treatments.
- The Pediatric Psychosomatic Department – provides treatment, including psychotherapy, for eating disorders in pediatric patients.
- The Albert Katz Department of Neonatology – provides care to premature babies as well as infants with major congenital disorders. The department includes an intensive care unit for newborns.
- The Weinberg Child Development Center – responsible for the care and therapy of children with developmental disabilities. The center accepts children of all ages, from infants to adolescents.
- The Pediatric Pulmonary Unit – provides a full range of pulmonary diagnoses and treatments to both inpatients and outpatients. These include bronchoscopy, respiratory therapy, lung function tests, and pulmonary surgery.
- The Pediatric Metabolic Disease Unit – provides a full laboratory and outpatient clinic for the treatment of patients with metabolic disorders, including amino acid and carbohydrate processing problems. This unit works with several rare diseases and genetic disorders.
- The Pediatric Gastroenterology Unit – responsible for the diagnosis and treatment of child inpatients and outpatients with gastrointestinal and liver issues. This unit also handles problems with nutrient absorption.
- The Pediatric Nephrology Unit – provides diagnosis and treatment for problems with the kidneys and urinary system. This includes urinary tract infections, kidney biopsies, genetic abnormalities, and stones in the urinary system.
- The Pediatric Infectious Disease Unit – this unit consults with other departments and divisions throughout the hospital to offer expertise on viral, bacterial, parasite, and fungal infections. The unit also conducts ongoing research on the nature and treatment of pathogenic organisms.
- The Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Unit – responsible for mental health care for our pediatric patients, and includes a multidisciplinary approach with pediatricians, psychiatrists, social workers, psychologists, and therapists.
- The Institute for Rare Diseases – established in 2014, the institute aids in the diagnosis and treatment of rare genetic diseases affecting children. We believe that every child deserves outstanding medical care, no matter the uniqueness of their disease.
- The Pediatric Neurology Unit – responsible for the diagnosis and treatment of childhood neurological conditions and neurodevelopmental issues.
- The Pediatric Stem Cell Research Institute – the mission of the institute is to build a bridge between basic stem cell research and application of effective therapies to pediatric patients.
- The Institute of Pediatric Cardiology – this institute handles all pediatric cardiology needs, including diagnosis and treatment of heart and vascular problems. It is composed of the cardiac catheterization unit, the outpatient clinic, and the echocardiography unit and features state of the art diagnostic and therapeutic tools.
- The Pediatric Community Medicine Unit – this unit is responsible for coordinating pediatric care within the community and also handles the education of pediatric medical and surgical residents. Additionally, this unit offers continuing education for pediatricians.
Dr. Itai Pessach is the director of the Edmond and Lily Safra Children’s Hospital. Dr. Pessach completed his residency in Pediatrics at the Edmond and Lily Safra Children’s Hospital, Sheba Medical Center. He then specialized in Immunology and Allergy at the Boston Children’s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA.
Following his return to Israel, he specialized in Pediatric Intensive Care at the Edmond and Lily Safra Children’s Hospital, Sheba Medical Center.
Request a consultation
Ready to contact us for a consultation about your condition and our medical services? The staff of our Global Patient Services is ready to help.
Please select the appropriate button to get started.