What is Breast Cancer?
Breast cancer is defined as the presence of abnormal cells in the breast tissue. The tissue affected can be ductal tissue, comprising the milk ducts, or glandular tissue, the tissue that actually produces milk. These cancer cells multiply and spread, invading other body areas usually via lymph nodes.
How Prevalent is Breast Cancer?
Breast cancer is, unfortunately, very common. It is the most frequently-seen form of cancer in women and is responsible for about one-quarter of all new cancer diagnoses among women.
What are the Risk Factors for Breast Cancer?
While men are also subject to breast cancer, the disease is much more prevalent among women. In addition to being female, other risk factors for breast cancer include:
What are the Symptoms of Breast Cancer?
Breast cancer symptoms include:
- Nipple inversion
- Abnormal discharge from the nipple
- Red, irritated, or scaly skin on the nipple, areola, or breast
- A lump or lumps in the breast
- Breast swelling
- Breast pain
What is the Treatment for Breast Cancer?
There are several types of treatment available for breast cancer depending on the type and stage or how advanced the cancer is. These treatments are all available at Sheba Medical Center. Our Meirav Breast Center features some of the world’s most advanced breast cancer research and treatments including:
Early Diagnosis – In addition to conventional mammograms, we offer 3D metabolic imaging and risk assessment (MIRA) scans. The sooner breast cancer is diagnosed, the sooner treatment can begin, and early treatment gives a better chance for a positive outcome.
- Surgical Treatment – Surgery is often necessary to remove tumors and for lymph node biopsies. Sheba’s surgeons are among the finest in the world and offer procedures like lumpectomie skin-sparing mastectomies and lymph node biopsies with minimal removal of nodes.
- Hormone Therapy – Many breast cancers are strongly linked to female sex hormones. Sheba’s physicians provide effective hormone therapy to help reduce breast cancer tumors.
- Radiotherapy – Radiation treatments can be used in conjunction with surgery or chemotherapy to help eliminate breast cancers.
- Chemotherapy – You will find both conventional chemotherapy and targeted chemotherapy at Sheba Medical Center. Also, Israel’s government is very forward-thinking when it comes to drug approvals, and Sheba’s researchers are constantly working on new chemotherapy medications.
Sheba Medical Center – World-Class Medicine with a Personal Touch
While you will always find the latest, most cutting-edge medical and surgical techniques at Sheba, you can also rest assured of always receiving world-class medicine with a personal touch. This statement means that our staff never forgets the human element. In the midst of advanced technology and state-of-the-art research, we also provide for your comfort, psychological support, and spiritual needs. You are not just a patient to us – you’re a person.
Request a consultation
Ready to contact us for a consultation about your condition and our medical services? The staff of our International Medical Tourism Division is ready to help.
Please select the appropriate button to get started.