The Benefits of Personalized Medicine for Metastatic Ewing’s Sarcoma Treatment in Israel
Learn about the treatments offered in Israel for metastatic and advanced Ewing’s sarcoma patients
Ewing’s sarcoma is a rare type of cancer that occurs primarily in the bone or soft tissue around the bone. While it can develop in any bone, it is most often found in the hip bones, ribs, long bones, or humerus. The malignancy has two main types: soft tissue Ewing’s sarcoma and bone Ewing’s sarcoma, as well as many subtypes.
Ewing’s sarcoma is caused by a mutation in a cell’s DNA that causes it to multiply quickly and continue living when a healthy cell would normally die. The result is a mass (tumor) of abnormal cells that can invade and destroy healthy body tissue. In some cases, the abnormal cells spread throughout the body, most commonly to the bone marrow, lungs, kidneys, heart, adrenal glands, and other soft tissues, which results in metastatic Ewing’s sarcoma.
Ewing’s sarcoma accounts for about 1% of pediatric cancers, but is very rare in adults. It can occur at any time during childhood, but most commonly develops during puberty, when the bones are growing rapidly.
Being a relatively rare malignancy, Ewing’s sarcoma treatment can be complex, especially in metastatic and advanced cases. Therefore, it is critical to choose a medical center staffed with top-tier cancer specialists and medical experts experienced in a wide range of disciplines for treatment.
Ewing’s sarcoma treatment options in Israel depend on the type, size, and location of the tumor, and include surgery, radiation therapy, chemotherapy, targeted drug treatment, and bone marrow transplantation.
Benefits of Personalized Medicine for the Treatment of Metastatic Ewing’s Sarcoma
Personalized medicine involves using advanced diagnostic tools to identify the unique genetic and molecular profile of each patient and applying tailored therapies accordingly. The last decade saw a giant leap forward in the genomic sequencing of malignancies, and leading medical institutions can now use the latest genomic diagnostic tools, alongside more traditional imaging tools, to identify the optimal therapies for a particular patient, ensuring that they receive the most effective treatment and avoid the negative effects of less suitable options.
The advantages personalized medicine offers for treating Ewing’s sarcoma in Israel include:
- Preempting disease progression
- Tailoring treatment to a patient’s unique needs
- Prescribing more effective drugs
- Optimizing the risk-benefit ratio of therapies
- Avoiding the administration of drugs with predictable side effects
- Eliminating trial-and-error inefficiencies that undermine patient care
At Sheba Medical Center in Israel, our Hemato-Oncology Division has a specialized interest in applying precision medicine for bone and soft tissue sarcomas. We use these advanced tools to aid in both diagnosing malignancies and tailoring a treatment plan for each individual patient – and for each stage of the disease.
Among the advanced genetic and molecular diagnostic tools used at Sheba are:
- Fluorescence in situ hybridization (FISH): A test that “maps” the genetic material in a person’s cells.
- Polymerase chain reaction (PCR): A laboratory technique used to make many copies of a specific piece of DNA to more easily identify certain changes in a gene or chromosome, which can help locate and diagnose a malignancy.
- Next-generation sequencing, such as gene panel sequencing (DNA and RNA), mutation profile characterization, methylation profile, and response markers for immunotherapies
Reasons to Choose Israel for Metastatic Ewing’s Sarcoma Treatment
- Advanced Treatment: Medical institutions in Israel and the US often collaborate in advanced cancer research, developing new and effective treatments against the disease, yet Israel has fewer constraints than the US when it comes to adopting novel treatments. Israeli clinical trials still adhere to the highest standards of safety, but innovative treatments are generally made available to patients sooner than in the US.
- Quality of Care: Israeli physicians are exceptionally well-trained and often spend even more time on their medical education than American doctors. Also, you can be assured of high standards and strict safety regulations if you choose a hospital accredited by a trustworthy authority.
- Cost: In many countries, healthcare costs can be exorbitant. Without insurance, the costs of cancer treatment can be crippling. Prices are much lower in Israel, averaging 30-80% less than in the US, for example. That said, you’re not trading affordability for quality, since Israeli specialists, medical institutions, equipment, and procedures are among the most advanced in the world.
Where to Pursue Metastatic Ewing’s Sarcoma Treatment?
Having discovered a few of the many advantages of getting treatment for Ewing’s sarcoma in Israel, where exactly should you pursue it? Sheba Medical Center is an exceptional choice. One of the 10 best hospitals in the world according to Newsweek magazine, Sheba is dedicated to providing patients with world-class medical care.
Within our Department of Sarcomas and Bone Tumors, Sheba is actively involved in exciting clinical studies to develop new treatments for Ewing’s sarcoma.
The advantages of receiving treatment at Sheba Medical Center include:
- Antiangiogenesis: Antiangiogenesis is a breakthrough treatment for metastatic sarcoma, which inhibits the development of blood vessels that feed metastases. Clinical trials showed that in 46% of the patients who received the therapy, the enlargement of 31% of the metastases was stopped.
- As a government institution, we have no hidden costs, and our fees are transparent. Although we offer advanced treatments that are available only in select medical institutions around the world, our prices are affordable.
- Sheba treats each patient as a unique individual, personalizing every therapy program.
- Sheba’s 360-degree care approach to every patient, which means that Sheba’s professionals will assist you with arranging medical record reviews, travel, visas, accommodations, and language interpretation as needed.
- Sheba has full accreditation from the Joint Commission International (JCI), the premier international healthcare accrediting group.
- Sheba has both advanced treatment and laboratory facilities. At Sheba, patients receive every aspect of their treatment in a single facility.
- Our physicians are actively involved in the latest research and application of progressive treatments.