Reasons to Travel for Hip Replacement in Israel
Is hip pain interfering with your ability to enjoy life? While most people commonly think of hip replacement as a surgery for seniors, the recommendations for this procedure are linked more closely to pain and disability – not age. Hip replacement can be a life-changer for anyone who suffers from a stiff, painful, and worn-out joint.
Candidacy for Hip Replacement Surgery
In order to recommend hip replacement, your orthopedic surgeon will perform a comprehensive evaluation, as well as send you for an x-ray. Generally speaking, the procedure is advised when all other treatment options fail to alleviate your pain.
If you have any of the following symptoms and no other therapy is helping you, you may be a good candidate for hip replacement surgery:
- Pain that gets in the way of daily activity, such as walking or bending; usually felt between your hip and your knee
- Pain that doesn’t go away when you rest, during the day or night
- Stiffness in your hip that limits leg movement; even putting on your shoes can be a challenge
- Insufficient pain relief from anti-inflammatory medications, walking supports, or physical therapy
All About Hip Replacement in Israel
Hip replacement surgery dates back to 1960, and it is regarded as one of the most successful procedures in all of medicine. Since those early years, surgical techniques and materials have improved drastically, thereby increasing overall effectiveness. Hip replacement surgery in Israel is performed using the most progressive technologies, innovative materials, and advanced prostheses.
Israel features a high number of experienced orthopedic specialists, many of whom trained in the United States and other renowned medical centers. In fact, more than 10,000 knee and hip replacements are performed yearly to treat osteoarthritis in Israeli hospitals, and the numbers are increasing by about 10% each year! After circumcision and cataract removal, hip replacement in Israel is the country’s most common operation.
Regarding outcomes, more than 90% of patients undergoing hip replacement in Israel report a dramatic drop in their level of pain, along with enhanced mobility and a better quality of life within six weeks after surgery.
The Surgery & Recovery
During this procedure, your surgeon will remove the problematic hip joint and replace it with an artificial joint made from metal and plastic. This joint will be attached to your thigh bone using cement or a different specialized material, and the artificial replacement socket will be attached to your hip bone. These two parts will then be joined together before the surgeon reattaches your muscles and seals the incision.
After a primary hip replacement in Israel, you will typically need to stay in the hospital for about a week. Immediately after the procedure, most patients are able to walk with the aid of a cane or walker. The total rehabilitation period varies between patients, but generally three to four months are needed for a full recovery. A compassionate team of medical specialists will custom-design your rehabilitation for the best results.
If your original hip replacement fails (usually due to another injury, loosening hardware, or noncompliance), a revision hip replacement may be necessary. Postoperative recovery depends heavily on your individual medical history.
Why Choose Hip Replacement Surgery at Sheba Medical Center in Israel?
At Sheba Medical Center, we provide our patients with optimal care, from pre-op through post-op . Look at some of the reasons to undergo hip replacement surgery at Sheba:
- Extensive Experience – we perform over 170 primary hip replacement surgeries yearly, and approximately 50 revision surgeries per year
- Top-of-the-line Materials – 95% of our hip replacement surgeries use a cement-less prosthesis to prevent future failure; we depend on the most trusted names in medicine for all our orthopedic hardware, such as Johnson & Johnson
- Highly Skilled Doctors – a multidisciplinary and collaborative team of experts, including orthopedists, physiatrists, orthopedic surgeons, rheumatologists, and additional specialists
- Affordable Cost – we are a government institution, with affordable fees (much less than in the US) and no hidden costs
- Safety – we are fully accredited by the Joint Commission International (JCI)
- Dedicated Staff – a personal coordinator from our Global patient services will provide you with constant assistance
- Holistic Care – we care for your overall well-being, providing access to complete rehabilitation and personalized support services
Do you have hip pain that isn’t responding to treatment? To learn more about Hip Replacement in Israel, book a free consultation at Sheba Medical Center.
Request a consultation
Ready to contact us for a consultation about your condition and our medical services? The staff of our Global Patient Services is ready to help.
Please select the appropriate button to get started.