3 Reasons to Consider TIL for Your Melanoma Treatment
(TIL) immunotherapy treatment drastically increases the number of elite cancer-killing lymphocytes in your body. TIL is very effective in patients with metastatic melanoma that have had little or no benefit from conventional therapies.
Only about 1% of all skin cancer cases are melanomas. However, melanoma is by far the deadliest form of skin cancer. Until recently, patients had limited options in melanoma treatment, especially if their melanoma was metastatic, meaning it had begun to spread throughout the body.
Thanks to recent advances in cancer treatment research, there is now another promising option – tumor-infiltrating lymphocyte (TIL) immunotherapy. This groundbreaking technology provides hope for many patients with even very advanced melanoma.
HOW DOES TIL MELANOMA TREATMENT WORK?
Everyone has cellular components within their immune system. One type of immune cell is white blood cells, also called lymphocytes. These lymphocytes will attack tumor cells, but in metastatic melanoma patients, some lymphocytes are not strong enough to make much progress against the tumor, and those who can are few in number. This is where TIL comes in.
After removing part of the tumor, healthcare personnel isolate the strong lymphocytes that infiltrated the tumor successfully and grow them to very large numbers in a laboratory with interleukin-2 (IL-2), a protein that promotes rapid TIL growth. After being allowed to grow for a few days in the laboratory, doctors inject the lymphocytes back into the patient.
In this short video, Dr. Michal Besser and Prof. Jacob Schachter explain what TIL Immunotherapy is and its effectiveness treating patients with advanced metastatic melanoma.
“Usually, within 4 weeks, we see the beginning of the clinical results. In the CT scans you see the metastasis getting smaller and smaller, and some of the metastasis finally disappear. If you achieve complete response, its durable, and you actually cure patients with advanced melanoma”
What are the Advantages of TIL Treatment Immunotherapy?
This new therapy has several distinct advantages, including:
- TIL uses the patient’s own white blood cells, so there is little risk of infection or allergic reaction.
- TIL offers hope for patients whose cancer has not responded to traditional treatment methods.
- TIL can be very effective. Roughly half of all patients show improvement with TIL, with about 25% completely cured.
Where can I receive TIL Immunotherapy Treatment?
Because of its advanced nature, TIL is not available everywhere. Only a few healthcare facilities throughout the world offer this therapy. One such institution is Sheba Medical Center in Israel.
Doctors at Sheba have participated in TIL research from the very beginning, and Sheba has several advantages when it comes to TIL immunotherapy and melanoma treatment in general:
- Sheba has received full accreditation from the Joint Commission International (JCI), the foremost international healthcare accrediting authority.
- MD Anderson Cancer Center in the US and Sheba Medical Center are close partners and sister institutions.
- The Ella Lemelbaum Institute for Immuno-Oncology at Sheba is the largest and most advanced melanoma institute in the region.
- Sheba has both advanced treatment and laboratory facilities. At Sheba, patients receive every aspect of their TIL treatment in a single facility. Even lymphocyte genetic engineering is conducted in-house.
- Sheba Medical Center’s Global Patient Services provides world-class medicine with a personal touch to patients from across the globe.
To learn more about TIL or to schedule a no-cost consultation, contact Sheba today through this official webpage.
Request a consultation
Sheba Medical Center provides innovative, personalized medical care to patients from around the world. We are the largest, most comprehensive hospital in the Middle East and dedicated to providing advanced and compassionate medicine for everyone.
We welcome all cases, including the rarest and the most challenging. Our medical teams collaborate to provide the best possible health outcomes. From your initial inquiry through the long-term follow-up care, we are here for you.
Request a consultation and a Sheba Case Manager will contact you shortly: