The Advantages of Precision Medicine for the Treatment of Osteosarcoma in Children
6 Benefits of Personalized Medicine for the Treatment of Osteosarcoma in Children
Learn how advances in precision medicine are making a difference in treatments for osteosarcoma in children. Read further to understand how osteosarcoma is treated at Sheba Medical Center in Israel.
Osteosarcoma, also known as osteogenic sarcoma, is a type of cancer that occurs primarily in the bone or soft tissue around the bone. It typically originates in the marrow cavity of the long bones, such as near the ends of the legs and arms. Since osteosarcoma mainly affects children and young people, these are the areas where the bone is quickly growing. Osteosarcoma is not a common cancer, but it is the most common type of bone cancer among children, adolescents, and young adults. In general, the malignancy occurs most frequently in teens, when bone grows at a rapid rate.
Osteosarcoma begins as a result of a mutation in the DNA of a healthy bone cell. The mutation prompts the cell to start making new bone when it isn’t needed, and the result is a mass (tumor) of cancer cells that appear to be early forms of bone cells that normally help make new bone tissue, but the osteosarcoma bone tissue is not as strong as that of normal bones. Osteosarcoma cells can invade and destroy the healthy body tissue around them, and even break away and spread (metastasize) throughout the body, usually to the lungs or other bones.
The treatment of osteosarcoma in children can be complex, so it is crucial to choose a medical center staffed with top-tier cancer specialists and medical experts with experience in a wide range of disciplines for treatment. However, treatment options are available. A treatment plan for pediatric osteosarcoma must take the tumor’s type, size, and location into consideration, and may include surgery, chemotherapy, targeted drugs, and radiation therapy.
Benefits of Personalized Medicine for the Treatment of Osteosarcoma in Children
Personalized medicine involves using advanced diagnostic tools to identify the unique genetic and molecular profile of each patient and applying tailored therapies accordingly. The last decade saw a giant leap forward in the genomic sequencing of malignancies, and leading medical institutions can now use the latest genomic diagnostic tools to identify the optimal therapies for a particular patient, ensuring that they receive the most effective treatment and avoids the negative effects of less suitable options. The advantages of personalized medicine include:
- Preempting disease progression
- Tailoring treatment to a patient’s unique needs
- Prescribing more effective drugs
- Optimizing the risk-benefit ratio of therapies
- Avoiding the administration of drugs with predictable side effects
- Eliminating trial-and-error inefficiencies that undermine patient care
At Sheba Medical Center, our Hemato-Oncology Division has a specialized interest in applying precision medicine for bone and soft tissue sarcomas. We use these advanced tools to aid in both diagnosing malignancies and tailoring a treatment plan for each individual patient – and for each stage of the disease.
- Fluorescence in situ hybridization (FISH): A test that “maps” the genetic material in a person’s cells.
- Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR): A laboratory technique used to make many copies of a specific piece of DNA to more easily identify certain changes in a gene or chromosome, which can help locate and diagnose a malignancy.
- Next-generation sequencing, such as gene panel sequencing (DNA and RNA), mutation profile characterization, methylation profile, and response markers for immunotherapies.
Benefits of Coming to Israel for Treatment of Osteosarcoma in Children
Medical institutions in Israel and the US often collaborate in advanced cancer research, developing new and effective treatments against the disease, yet Israel has fewer constraints than the US when it comes to adopting novel treatments. Israeli clinical trials still adhere to the highest standards of safety, but innovative treatments are generally made available to patients sooner than in the US.
Quality of Care:
Israeli physicians are exceptionally well-trained and often spend even more time on their medical education than American doctors. Also, you can be assured of high standards and strict safety regulations if you choose a hospital accredited by a trustworthy authority.
In many countries, healthcare costs can be exorbitant. Without insurance, the costs of cancer treatment can be crippling. Prices are much lower in Israel, averaging 30-80% less than in the US, for example. That said, you’re not trading affordability for quality, since Israeli specialists, medical institutions, equipment, and procedures are among the most advanced in the world.
Where to Pursue Treatment in Israel For Osteosarcoma in Children?
Having discovered a few of the many advantages of getting treatment for pediatric osteosarcoma in Israel, where exactly should you pursue it? Sheba Medical Center is an exceptional choice. One of the 10 best hospitals in the world according to Newsweek magazine, Sheba is dedicated to providing patients with world-class medical care.
Within our Department of Sarcomas and Bone Tumors, Sheba is actively involved in exciting clinical studies to develop new treatments for osteosarcoma in children.
The advantages of receiving treatment at Sheba Medical Center include:
- Sheba treats children with a holistic approach, keeping in mind that cancer can have devastating effects on the physical and emotional well-being of your child and his/her entire family, which is why we offer a variety of support services.
- Antiangiogenesis: Antiangiogenesis is a breakthrough treatment for metastatic sarcoma, which inhibits the development of blood vessels that feed metastases. Research trials showed that in 46% of the patients who received the therapy, the enlargement of 31% of the metastases was stopped.
- As a government institution, we have no hidden costs, and our fees are transparent. Although we offer advanced treatments that are available only in select medical institutions around the world, our prices are affordable.
- Sheba treats each patient as a unique individual, personalizing every therapy program.
- Sheba’s 360-degree care approach to every patient, which means that Sheba’s professionals will assist you with arranging medical record reviews, travel, visas, accommodations, and language interpretation as needed.
- Sheba has full accreditation from the Joint Commission International (JCI), the premier international healthcare accrediting group.
- Sheba has both advanced treatment and laboratory facilities. At Sheba, patients receive every aspect of their treatment in a single facility.
- Our physicians are actively involved in the latest research and application of progressive treatments.
Request a consultation
Sheba Medical Center provides innovative, personalized medical care to patients from around the world. We are the largest, most comprehensive hospital in the Middle East and dedicated to providing advanced and compassionate medicine for everyone.
We welcome all cases, including the rarest and the most challenging. Our medical teams collaborate to provide the best possible health outcomes. From your initial inquiry through the long-term follow-up care, we are here for you.
Request a consultation and a Sheba Case Manager will contact you shortly: