Dr Hana Golan serves as the deputy director and the head of the day care service of the Pediatric Hematology Oncology division. She completed her medical degree at the Technion- Israel Institute of Technology and specialized in pediatrics and pediatric hemato-oncology at the Safra Children’s Hospital at the Sheba Medical Center. Dr. Golan has a special interest in treating children with Neuroblastoma and serves as the PI of the international HR ESIOP protocol in the department.
Main research areas:
- Isolation and characterization of cancer stem cells from various pediatric solid tumors
- Development of new treatments designed to target and destroy cancer stem cells.
- The effects of cannabinoids on pediatric tumors
- Coordinator of the Hematology course for medical students, Sackler Faculty of Medicine at Tel Aviv University, Israel, 2009-2011
- Pediatric Hematology oncology lectures for medical students and nurses,
1996 – Present.
- Tutor in charge of medical students, 1991-1992
· Director of the computerized program of the inpatient and outpatient computerized medical record
· Establishment of computerized chemotherapy protocols and patient’s database, 1999 – 2014.
CLINICAL TRIALS EXPERIENCE
- Principle investigator of the High Risk Neuroblastoma 1.7 ESIOP protocol, Sheba medical center, 2002 – present.
- Principle investigator of the “Phase I/II, 2-part, Multi Center, Single arm, Open-Label Study, to determine the Safety, Tolerability and Pharmacokinetics of oral Dabrafenib in Children and Adolescent Subjects with Advanced BRAF V-600 Mutation Positive Solid Tumors. 2015-2016
- Principle investigator of the “Single-Dose Study to Evaluate the Pharmacokinetics, Pharmacodynamics, Safety, and Tolerability of Apixaban in Pediatric Subjects at Risk for a Venous or Arterial Thrombotic Disorder” 2013-2015
· National coordinator of the High Risk Neuroblastoma 1 ESIOP protocol, 2002 – 2005
· Active involvement in several basic research programs including:
- Identification and isolation of cancer stem cells in pediatric malignancies in order to identify targetable markers (2 papers are currently in the processes of submission)
- The role of cannabinoids as anti-cancer drug in pediatric malignancies
- Deputy Director of the Pediatric Hemato-Oncology and BMT Division
- Head of the Pediatric Hemato-Oncology Day Care Service
- Professional memberships: Israel Medical Association, Israel Society of Pediatric Hematology Oncology, Israel Society of Hematology and Blood Transfusions
Conditions and treatment
- pediatric oncology
- hematological diseases
- immune deficiencies
- inborn errors of metabolism
- bone marrow failure
- Neuroblastoma and solid tumors
- chronic blood disorders
- stem cell transplantation
- bone marrow transplantation
Education and Training
- MD, the Rappaport School of Medicine, Technion, Haifa, Israel 1981 – 1988.
- Residency, Department of Pediatrics, the Chaim Sheba Medical Center, Israel, 1989 –1993
- Residency, Department of Pediatric Hematology –Oncology, the Chaim Sheba Medical Center, Israel, 1996 – 1999
- Cancer in Children: challenges and controversies. The British Council international seminar, London, England, 1997.
- Basic Research: Tolerance Mechanisms in Transplantation, Professor Yair Reisner Laboratory, Immunology Department, Weizmann Institute, Israel, 2006-2008.
- GCP course: Sheba Medical Center, Israel, 2008.
- Advanced management program for senior hematologists, LAHAV Executive Education, Tel-Aviv university, 2010
- Debriefing Assessment in Healthcare For Promoting Patient Safety, Sheba Medical Center, 2014
- Biomedical Informatics - Diploma Studies for Physicians and Senior Researchers, Bar-Ilan University, 2014-2015
- Doctor of Medicine – 1992
- Registered Specialist in Pediatrics - 1994
- Registered specialist in Pediatric Hematologist – Oncologist, 1999