Anton Wohl, MD
- General Neurosurgery
- Brain Tumor Surgery
I am an Israeli Board and Russian Board certified neurosurgeon with extensive experience in the fields of general and oncological neurosurgery, including malignant and benign brain tumor surgery, intraoperative MRI assisted surgery, awake brain surgery and intraoperative brain mapping, brain biopsy, stereotactic radiosurgery. Additionally, I gained extensive experience in a wide range of neurosurgical procedures throughout neuro-trauma, functional and aesthetic correction of post-traumatic or post-operative skull defects and treatment of hydrocephalus.
One of the major parts of my practice is seeking to develop and rigorously test techniques facilitating aggressive surgical resection for gliomas while maintaining or improving patient safety. These include integrating functional imaging (functional MRI) into image-guidance navigation systems and intraoperative MRI and US, correlating this with intraoperative electrophysiological mapping, and pursuing novel strategies such as fluorescence-guided resection.
My research activity focused on Clinical and Basic Science Research in the treatment of malignant brain tumors.
Conditions and treatment
- General Neurosurgery
- Brain Tumor Surgery
- Neurosurgeon, Neurosurgical Oncology & Brain Tumor Surgery and Radiosurgery Service, Department of Neurosurgery, Sheba Medical Center Tel Hashomer, Israel
- 2015-2016 Director of Department, Day Care Unit, Assuta Medical Center, Tel Aviv, Israel
- 2004-2006 Neurosurgeon, Department of Neurosurgery, GKB40, Yekaterinburg, Russia
Education and Training
- 2016-2017 Fellowship in Oncological Neurosurgery and Brain Tumor Surgery. Department of Neurological Surgery, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN, USA;
- 2009-2015 Residency in Neurosurgery, Sheba Medical Center Tel Hashomer, Israel;
- 1996-2002 MD. Ural State Medical Academy, Yekaterinburg, Russia. Diploma cum laude
- 2002\2003 Neurology (Internship), Ural State Medical Academy, Yekaterinburg, Russia
- 2003 General Neurosurgery, Institute of Neurosurgery’ Burdenko, Moscow, Russia
- 2006 Diagnostic Radiology, Ural State Medical Academy, Yekaterinburg, Russia
- 2008 Israeli Medical License
- 2011 GCP: Design, Conduct & Management of Clinical Trials, Israel
- 2012 ATLS / Military Trauma Life Support, Tsrifin, Israel
- 2012 AOSPINE - Trauma and Degenerative Spine Workshop, Tel Aviv, Israel
- 2013 EANS, AANS/CNS International Neuro-Oncology Updates, Tel Aviv, Israel
- 2014 Israeli Neurosurgery Board Certification
- 2016 Microvascular Surgery Training Course, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN, USA
- 2017 ACLS, Tel Hashomer, Israel (2009, 2014, 2017, 2019)
Human cytomegalovirus viral load in tumor and peripheral blood samples of patients with malignant gliomas. Priel E, Wohl A, Teperberg M, Nass D, Cohen ZR. Journal of Clinical Neuroscience. 2015 Feb; 22(2):326-30.
Localized RNAi Therapeutics of Chemo-Resistant Grade IV Glioma using Hyaluronic-Grafted Lipid-based Nanoparticles. Cohen ZR, Ramisetty S, Peshes –Yaloz N, Goldsmith M, Wohl A, Zibly Z, Peer D. American Chemical Society. Nano. 2015 Feb 24; 9(2):1581-91.
Peripheral blood-derived, γ9δ2 t cell-enriched cell lines from glioblastoma multiforme patients exert anti-tumoral effects in vitro. Marcu-Malina V, Garelick D, Peshes-Yeloz N, Wohl A, Zach L, Nagar M, Amariglio N, Besser MJ, Cohen ZR, Bank I. Journal of Biological Regulators and Homeostatic Agents. 2016 Jan-Mar; 30(1):17-30.
Predicting and reducing cranioplasty infections by clinical, radiographic and operative parameters – A historical cohort study. Kimchi G, Stlylianou P, Wohl A, Hadani M, Cohen ZR, Zauberman J, Feldman Z, Spiegelmann R, Nissim O, Zibly Z, Penn M, Harnof S. Journal of Clinical Neuroscience. 2016 Jul 16. pii: S0967-5868(16)30321-6.
A novel swine model of subarachnoid hemorrhage-induced cerebral vasospasm. Zibly Z, Fein L, Sharma M, Assaf Y, Wohl A, Harnof S. Neurology India. 2017 Sep-Oct; 65(5):1035-1042. doi: 10.4103/neuroindia.NI_357_16.
Apixaban decreases brain thrombin activity in a male mouse model of acute ischemic stroke. Bushi D, Chapman J, Wohl A, Stein ES, Feingold E, Tanne D. Journal of Neuroscience Research. 2018 Aug; 96(8):1406-1411. doi: 10.1002/jnr.24253. Epub 2018 May 14.
Novel suprasellar location of desmoplastic infantile astrocytoma and ganglioglioma: a single institution’s experience. Naylor RM, Wohl A, Raghunathan A, Eckel LJ, Keating GF, Daniels DJ. Journal of Neurosurgery. Pediatrics. 2018 Jul 6:1-7. doi: 10.3171/2018.4. PEDS17638.
A Novel Compound Targeting Protease Receptor 1 Activators for the Treatment of Glioblastoma. Shavit-Stein E, Sheinberg E, Golderman V, Sharabi S, Wohl A, Gofrit SG, Zivli Z, Shelestovich N, Last D, Guez D, Daniels D, Gera O, Feingold K, Itsekson-Hayosh Z, Rosenberg N, Tamarin I, Dori A, Maggio N, Mardor Y, Chapman J, Harnof S. Frontiers in Neurology. 2018 Dec 17;9:1087. doi: 10.3389/fneur.2018.01087. eCollection 2018.
Current Murine Models and New Developments in H3K27M Diffuse Midline Gliomas. Welby JP, Kaptzan T, Wohl A, Peterson TE, Raghunathan A, Brown DA, Gupta SK, Zhang L, Daniels DJ. Frontiers in Oncology. 2019 Feb 27; 9:92. doi: 10.3389/fonc.2019.00092. eCollection 2019.
Role of Klotho Protein in Tumor Genesis, Cancer Progression, and Prognosis in Patients with High-Grade Glioma. Peshes-Yeloz N, Ungar L, Wohl A, Jacoby E, Fisher T, Leitner M, Nass D, Rubinek T, Wolf I, Cohen ZR. World Neurosurgery. 2019 Jun 20 pii: S1878-8750(19) 31634-1. doi: 10.1016/j.wneu. 2019.06.082.
Brain Metastases from Ovarian Carcinoma: An Evaluation of Prognostic Factors and Treatment. Wohl A, Kimchi G, Korach J, Perri T, Zach L, Zibly Z, Harel R, Nissim U, Spiegelmann R, Nass D, Cohen ZR. Neurology India. 2019 Nov-Dec;67(6):1431-1436. doi: 10.4103/0028-3886.273627. PMID: 31857529
Request a consultation
Sheba Medical Center provides innovative, personalized medical care to patients from around the world. We are the largest, most comprehensive hospital in the Middle East and dedicated to providing advanced and compassionate medicine for everyone.
We welcome all cases, including the rarest and the most challenging. Our medical teams collaborate to provide the best possible health outcomes. From your initial inquiry through the long-term follow-up care, we are here for you.
Request a consultation and a Sheba Case Manager will contact you shortly: