CAR T-Cell Therapy for Multiple Myeloma
Cutting-Edge CAR T-Cell Therapy Approved for Multiple Myeloma Treatment
One of the most advanced cancer immunotherapies globally, CAR T-cell therapy is now available for multiple myeloma patients following FDA and Israeli health ministry approval
Multiple myeloma (MM) is a hematological malignancy that forms in a type of white blood cell called a plasma cell. Healthy plasma cells help you fight infections by producing antibodies that detect and attack germs. In multiple myeloma, cancerous plasma cells build up in the bone marrow and crowd out healthy blood cells. Rather than produce helpful antibodies, the cancer cells create abnormal proteins that can cause complications.
Common treatments for MM include chemotherapy, radiation therapy, targeted therapy, and bone marrow transplantation. While these can be effective for many patients, others, and especially those experiencing a relapse, many find them inadequate. Fortunately, following an FDA and Israeli health ministry approval, multiple myeloma patients can now benefit from CAR T-cell therapy, and cutting-edge immunotherapy, in select medical facilities.
CAR T-Cell Therapy
CAR T-cell therapy is an innovative procedure that uses your own immune system to seek and destroy cancerous cells. The CAR T-cell process begins with the patient’s blood being drawn. White blood cells (specifically, T-cells, an essential part of the immune system) are then separated from the rest of the blood using advanced technology. The white blood cells are subsequently sent to a specialized laboratory, where they are engineered to produce specific chimeric antigen receptors (CARs) on their surface. These CAR T-cells are then injected back into the patient’s bloodstream, where the new CARs can help them latch on to an antigen on tumor cells – significantly increasing their ability to effectively hunt down and destroy malignancies.
While the treatment was limited to acute lymphocytic leukemia, non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma, and acute myelogenous leukemia patients until recently, CAR T-cell therapy is now approved for the treatment of multiple myeloma.
Unfortunately, as a cutting-edge treatment, CAR T-cell therapy is only available at a handful of medical institutions worldwide, and tends to be an expensive and prolonged process. The number of adults who have undergone this therapy CAR T-cell therapy at Sheba:
Multiple Myeloma CAR T-Cell Therapy at Sheba
One of the 10 best hospitals in the world according to Newsweek magazine, Sheba is dedicated to providing patients with world-class medical care. At Sheba Medical Center, we boast all of the advanced facilities necessary for delivering CAR T-cell therapy from start to finish: including a dedicated laboratory to engineer the T-cells. This shortens the treatment process from many months to no more than 10 weeks.
Advantages of treatment at Sheba Medical Center include:
- As a government institution, we have no hidden costs, and our fees are transparent. Although we offer advanced treatments available only in select medical institutions worldwide, our prices are affordable.
- Sheba treats each patient as a unique individual, personalizing every therapy program.
- Sheba’s 360-degree care approach to every patient means that our professionals will assist you with arranging medical record reviews, travel, visas, accommodations, and language interpretation as needed.
- Sheba has full accreditation from the Joint Commission International (JCI), the premier international healthcare accrediting group.
- Our physicians are actively involved in the latest research and application of progressive treatments.
- Sheba’s extensive experience with CAR T-cell therapy speaks louder than words. Under the expertise of Prof. Arnon Nagler, Director of the Hemato-Oncology Division and a world-renowned specialist in the field, we have provided over 220 patients with CAR T-cell therapy.
- Convenient on-site CAR T-cell care: We offer all of the required services for CAR T-cell therapy under one roof, including blood collection, chemotherapy, a genetic engineering laboratory, T-cell injections, and patient monitoring, resulting in an efficient and expedited treatment.
- Multidisciplinary medicine: at Sheba, specialists from various departments collaborate to create a holistic treatment plan.
Request a consultation
Sheba Medical Center provides innovative, personalized medical care to patients from around the world. We are the largest, most comprehensive hospital in the Middle East and dedicated to providing advanced and compassionate medicine for everyone.
We welcome all cases, including the rarest and the most challenging. Our medical teams collaborate to provide the best possible health outcomes. From your initial inquiry through the long-term follow-up care, we are here for you.
Request a consultation and a Sheba Case Manager will contact you shortly: