Breast cancer is the most common cancer diagnosed in women. As with all cancers, early detection in breast cancer is critical to a positive treatment outcome. Fortunately, with the advancement of screening and treatment, survival rates continue to climb.
Breast cancer risk factors include:
- Gender: While men are susceptible to getting breast cancer, it is much more common in women.
- Age: Women of any age can get breast cancer, but it is most commonly found in women over the age of 55.
- Personal History: Women who have had breast cancer have a higher risk of developing cancer again.
- Family History: Patients with family members who have had breast cancer are more likely to develop the disease themselves.
- Breast Density: Women with dense or fibrocystic breast tissue have a higher risk of developing breast cancer.
Breast Cancer Treatment Options in Israel
There are many ways to approach cancer treatment; each patient’s treatment protocol will vary according to their unique case. Your breast cancer treatment may include one or a combination of the following treatments:
- Surgery – Many cases of breast cancer require surgical procedures for biopsies and tumor removal. Now, there are leading-edge procedures, such as lumpectomy, skin-sparing mastectomies and lymph node biopsies with minimal lymph removal.
- Chemotherapy – Both conventional chemotherapy and targeted chemotherapy drugs are available in Israel.
- Hormone Therapy – Hormone therapy is used when breast cancer cells have receptors for the female sex hormones estrogen or progesterone. This therapy often helps to reduce the risk of breast cancer returning after surgery.
- Radiotherapy – Radiation therapy can be used at almost any stage of the disease and in conjunction with surgery or chemotherapy for an improved outcome.
Personal Stories: Survivors of Breast Cancer After Treatment in Israel
Yana Darom – Pregnant and Diagnosed with Breast Cancer
At the young age of 28 and pregnant with her first child, Yana Darom was diagnosed with breast cancer. Her treatment and recovery were long and arduous, involving chemotherapy, radiation, a total mastectomy, and breast reconstruction surgery. Luckily, the staff at Sheba Medical Center helped her get through it with their outstanding expertise, professionalism, and sensitivity.
“Every one of my physicians and surgeons constantly communicated with me and each other. They were always coordinating together on my treatment and progress. I truly know that I was in good hands with the best doctors in Israel.”
Since her recovery, Yana has given birth to a second daughter and opened two boutiques that cater to women battling breast cancer.
Lyudmila – Breast Cancer Survivor from Ukraine
Lyudmila lived a healthy lifestyle that included regular physical activity, a healthy diet, and annual health checkups. That’s why she was so surprised when her doctors in Ukraine gave her a discouraging breast cancer diagnosis and prognosis. She decided to travel to Israel for a second opinion.
After visiting four hospitals in Israel, Lyudmila chose to undergo treatment at Sheba Medical Center due to the staff’s patience and friendly disposition. The multidisciplinary team at Sheba quickly ordered a mammogram, ultrasound, MRI, biopsy, and PET/CT. They closely reviewed results and crafted a customized treatment plan for her case. Instead of a complete mastectomy, which is what the doctors in Ukraine had suggested, Lyudmila’s treatment included chemotherapy, which shrank the tumor by half, followed by a lumpectomy.
“Following the surgery, I experienced no edema in the operated area or my arm or hand. The care that I received at Sheba Medical Center was exceptional. The oncologist, Prof. Bella Kaufman, and the surgeon, Dr. Aviad Hoffman, were both very attentive and professional.”
Lyudmila’s examination results are still encouraging a year and a half later.
5 Reasons to Choose Sheba Medical Center for Breast Cancer Treatment in Israel
From its expert team of specialists to its cutting-edge technology, Sheba Medical Center truly has it all.
- Highest world standards. Sheba is fully accredited by the Joint Commission International (JCI), a gold seal of approval in international healthcare. At Sheba, all medical therapies are given in adherence to the highest standards of safety and care. Sheba has been recognized as one of the top 10 best hospitals in the world, according to a recent publication by Newsweek.
- Vast experience. Sheba’s experienced Meirav Breast Center sees over 4,000 breast cancer patients every year.
- Cutting-edge diagnostics and treatment options. The latest in imaging and diagnostic techniques include 3D metabolic imaging and risk assessment (MIRA) scans to find cancer quickly before it spreads. Breast cancer treatment at Sheba includes leading-edge procedures such as lumpectomy, skin-sparing mastectomies and lymph node biopsies with minimal node removal.
- World-renowned cancer specialists. Dov Zippel, MD is the Head of the Meirav Breast Center and a surgery specialist. Bella Kaufman, MD is the Head of the Breast Oncology Institute and a world leading breast cancer researcher and clinician.
- Customized Care. The International Medical Tourism Division at Sheba provides support and assistance prior to hospitalization, including help with arranging travel and accommodations, and throughout the patient’s entire time at Sheba.
Personalized holistic care at Sheba
At Sheba, a multidisciplinary team of specialists comes together to determine the best course of treatment for each patient. They consider all factors that may influence a person’s treatment and give the time and attention that each patient deserves. The medical tourism program follows a 360-degree approach that ensures the best care from initial inquiry and all the way through follow-up. Dedicated medical coordinators and case managers assist in everything from organizing travel to communicating with doctors.
Sheba is dedicated to a holistic approach to medicine that considers the physical and emotional state of each patient for optimum well-being and quality of life.
Cancer can progress rapidly, so don’t hesitate to call Sheba Medical Center and book your consultation.
Request a consultation
Ready to contact us for a consultation about your condition and our medical services? The staff of our Global Patient Services is ready to help.
Please select the appropriate button to get started.