Is Advanced Stage Neuroblastoma Treatable?
With an advanced healthcare system, state-of-the-art facilities, and comparably lower costs, Israel is a leading choice for advanced stage neuroblastoma treatment.
Neuroblastoma occurs when cancer cells begin to grow in immature nerve cells located within the sympathetic nervous system. It generally appears first in the adrenal glands, which are responsible for producing hormones and are located above the kidneys. However, it can also develop in any part of the body that has a cluster of nerve cells, such as the chest, neck, and spine area. Neuroblastoma usually manifests in children under the age of five and is rare in adults-only around 6% of cases occur in patients older than 20. In adults, neuroblastoma is often metastatic and portends an extremely poor overall survival rate. Multiple studies have shown that the prognosis of neuroblastoma worsens with age, and adults with neuroblastoma have significantly worse 5- and 10-year survival rates. Nonetheless, recent studies have indicated that even advanced stage neuroblastoma is treatable, and patients can benefit from chemotherapy, radiation therapy, and bone marrow transplantation.
Bone Marrow Transplantation
When necessary, bone marrow transplants can be undertaken as a part of advanced stage neuroblastoma treatment. The procedure involves depleting diseased bone marrow with chemotherapy or radiation and then intravenously infusing healthy donor stem cells into the patient. The new stem cells travel to the bone marrow, where they begin to produce new blood cells. At Sheba Medical Center, the largest hospital in Israel, the Department of Bone Marrow Transplants features 14 private rooms, alongside comprehensive, high-tech laboratories and clinics – enabling all steps of the transplant procedure to be completed efficiently on-site. The department has performed more than 2,000 transplants to date and employs a diverse team of world-renowned specialists, including hematologists, medical oncologists, and radiation oncologists, who all work together to provide optimized treatments for each individual patient.
Benefits of Getting Treatment for Neuroblastoma in Israel
- Advanced Treatment: Medical institutions in Israel and the US often collaborate in advanced cancer research, developing new and effective treatments against the disease, yet Israel has fewer constraints than the US when it comes to adopting novel treatments. Israeli clinical trials still adhere to the highest standards of safety, but innovative treatments are generally made available to patients sooner than in the US.
- Quality of Care: Israeli physicians are exceptionally well-trained and often spend even more time on their medical education than American doctors. Also, you can be assured of high standards and strict safety regulations if you choose a hospital accredited by a trustworthy authority.
- Cost: In many countries, healthcare costs can be exorbitant. Without insurance, the costs of cancer treatment can be crippling. Prices are much lower in Israel, averaging 30-80% less than in the US, for example. That said, you’re not trading affordability for quality, since Israeli specialists, medical institutions, equipment, and procedures are among the most advanced in the world.
Where to Pursue Neuroblastoma Treatment in Israel?
Having discovered a few of the many advantages of getting treatment for advanced-stage neuroblastoma in Israel, where exactly should you pursue it? Sheba Medical Center is an exceptional choice. One of the 10 best hospitals in the world according to Newsweek magazine, Sheba is dedicated to providing patients with world-class medical care.
The advantages of receiving treatment at Sheba Medical Center include:
- As a government institution, we have no hidden costs, and our fees are transparent. Although we offer advanced treatments that are available only in select medical institutions around the world, our prices are affordable.
- Sheba treats each patient as a unique individual, personalizing every therapy program.
- Sheba’s 360-degree care approach to every patient, which means that Sheba’s professionals will assist you with arranging medical record reviews, travel, visas, accommodations, and language interpretation as needed.
- Sheba has full accreditation from the Joint Commission International (JCI), the premier international healthcare accrediting group.
- Sheba has both advanced treatment and laboratory facilities. At Sheba, patients receive every aspect of their treatment in a single facility.
- Our physicians are actively involved in the latest research and application of progressive treatments.