What are the Benefits of Wilms’ Tumor Treatment in Israel?
Learn more about the advanced treatment option and premier care available in Israel for Wilms’ tumor patients
Wilms’ tumor, also known as nephroblastoma, is a kidney cancer that primarily affects children. The malignancy, which is the fourth most common pediatric cancer, usually manifests in children between the ages of 3 to 4, and becomes much less common after the age of 5. Wilms’ tumor most often occurs in just one kidney, though it can sometimes be found in both kidneys at the same time.
The malignancy develops as a result of a kidney cell mutation that causes cells to grow and divide uncontrollably and to go on living when normal cells would usually die. These malignant cells can then spread to other organs – most often to the lungs and abdominal lymph nodes.
Generally, Wilms’ tumors tend to grow rather large before they are detected, though they are usually found before they metastasize.
Over the years, medical advancements have greatly improved the outlook for patients receiving Wilms’ tumor treatment in Israel. When the malignancy is quickly and precisely diagnosed, and the patients given appropriate treatment, the prognosis for most is very good. Treatment options depend on the type and size of the tumor, and include removal by means of surgery, radiation therapy, chemotherapy, targeted therapy, and in some cases, bone marrow transplantation.
Chemotherapy for Wilms’ Tumor Treatment in Israel
Chemotherapy, often referred to as “chemo,” is a type of treatment for cancer that involves medication, or a combination of different medications, given intravenously to the patient. Ultimately, the goal of chemo is to slow down or stop the growth of cancer cells. Sometimes, chemotherapy is the only treatment needed, while other times it is used along with radiation therapy, surgery, or both. Wilms’ tumor chemotherapy is typically a mainstay of treatment in Israel and leading medical institutions around the world.
Chemo is a systemic therapy, meaning that it affects the entire body – in contrast to surgery and radiation, which removes, kills, or damages cancer cells in a particular area. In practice, this means that chemotherapy can be used to eradicate cancer cells that have metastasized (spread) throughout the rest of the body, and not just cells in the original tumor.
The specific function of chemo depends on the kind of cancer being treated and how far it has progressed, but chemotherapy can serve four main roles:
- To destroy cancer cells completely and put cancer into remission.
- To control the growth and spread of cancer.
- To ease symptoms by shrinking the tumor.
- To prevent disease recurrence.
Benefits of Getting Wilms’ Tumor Treatment in Israel
- Quality of Care: Israeli physicians are exceptionally well-trained and often spend even more time on their medical education than American doctors. Also, you can be assured of high standards and strict safety regulations if you choose a hospital accredited by a trustworthy authority.
- Cost: In many countries, healthcare costs can be exorbitant. Without insurance, the costs of cancer treatment can be crippling. Prices are much lower in Israel, averaging 30-80% less than in the US, for example. That said, you’re not trading affordability for quality, since Israeli specialists, medical institutions, equipment, and procedures are among the most advanced in the world.
- Advanced Treatment: Medical institutions in Israel and the US often collaborate in advanced cancer research, developing new and effective treatments against the disease, yet Israel has fewer constraints than the US when it comes to adopting novel treatments. Israeli clinical trials still adhere to the highest standards of safety, but innovative treatments are generally made available to patients sooner than in the US.
Where to Pursue Diagnosis and Treatment in Israel?
Having discovered a few of the many advantages of getting Wilms’ Tumor treatment in Israel, where exactly should you pursue it? Sheba Medical Center is an exceptional choice. One of the 10 best hospitals in the world according to Newsweek magazine, Sheba is dedicated to providing patients with world-class medical care.
The advantages of receiving treatment at Sheba Medical Center include:
- As a government institution, we have no hidden costs, and our fees are transparent. Although we offer advanced treatments that are available only in select medical institutions around the world, our prices are affordable.
- Sheba treats each patient as a unique individual, personalizing every therapy program.
- Sheba’s 360-degree care approach to every patient, which means that Sheba’s professionals will assist you with arranging medical record reviews, travel, visas, accommodations, and language interpretation as needed.
- Sheba has full accreditation from the Joint Commission International (JCI), the premier international healthcare accrediting group.
- Sheba has both advanced treatment and laboratory facilities. At Sheba, patients receive every aspect of their treatment in a single facility.
- Our physicians are actively involved in the latest research and application of progressive treatments.
- Multidisciplinary medicine: at Sheba, specialists from various departments, including hemato-oncologists, geneticists, neuro-radiologists, and radiation oncologists, collaborate to create a holistic treatment plan.
Wilms’ Tumor often requires prompt expert treatment. Don’t delay – learn more about cutting-edge therapies in Israel. Contact Sheba Medical Center for a consultation
Request a consultation
Ready to contact us for a consultation about your condition and our medical services? The staff of our Global Patient Services is ready to help.
Please select the appropriate button to get started.