Stage 4 Sarcoma Treatment in Israel: The Benefits of Advanced Robotic Surgery
Sarcomas are a type of cancer that begins in the bones or soft tissues of the body, including cartilage, fat, muscle, blood vessels, fibrous tissue, or other connective or supportive tissue. There are more than 70 types of sarcomas that comprise about 1% of all malignant diseases, and they range from slowly developing to aggressive and rapidly growing.
Different types of sarcomas are usually categorized according to the area where the cancer forms. In general, bone sarcomas are more common among children, while soft tissue sarcomas, typically found in the arms, legs, chest or abdomen, are more prevalent in adults.
Sarcoma cases are categorized by stages on a scale of I through IV. The stage is determined by the cancer’s characteristics, such as how large it is and how far it has spread:
- Stage 1 includes relatively small tumors with minimal local spread
- Stage 2 sarcomas are larger tumors that appear more abnormal under a microscope and grow and spread more quickly
- Stage 3 tumors are either larger still or have spread into nearby tissues
- Stage 4 sarcoma is an invasive form of the malignancy that has spread to other parts of the body
Treatment and prognosis of sarcoma depend on the type and stage of the cancer. For stage IV soft tissue sarcoma patients, the best results occur when the tumor and its metastases can be removed by surgery, often accompanied by targeted therapy, chemotherapy, and radiation therapy. When treating stage IV bone sarcomas, the surgical approach may not be viable, in which case more systemic treatments, such as hormone therapy, targeted therapy, and chemotherapy are preferred.
Stage IV sarcomas are considered very difficult to treat, so for the best chance of achieving remission, it is imperative that you choose a medical center possessing the latest medical technology and staffed with top-tier cancer specialists and medical experts with experience in a wide range of disciplines for treatment.
The Latest in Robotic Surgery
Surgery often constitutes the first line of stage IV sarcoma treatment. However, inadequate surgical excision is a common problem.
Robotic surgery, or robot-assisted surgery, allows doctors to perform complex minimally invasive surgical procedures with precision and accuracy through the use of robotic arms. These arms are controlled by the surgeon through a dedicated console.
Widely accepted as one of the most advanced surgical systems available, the new da Vinci Xi represents the 4th generation of robotic surgical technology, taking surgical treatment to an entirely new level. The da Vinci Xi features high-definition 3D visualization that provides the clearest possible view of the surgical site, a greatly expanded range of motion, and improved manipulator capabilities. Additional features include a tremor filtration system that eliminates natural hand tremors and significantly enhances surgical precision.
Greatly contributing to the precise detection and removal of tumors, advanced surgical robotic systems, such as the da Vinci Xi, offer many sarcoma patients new hope for a full, healthy life.
At Sheba Medical Center, we are proud to stand at the forefront of surgical innovation and operate many advanced robotic systems, including the da Vinci Xi.
Treatment at Sheba Medical Center
Sheba Medical Center, one of the 10 best hospitals in the world according to Newsweek magazine, is a comprehensive medical facility dedicated to providing patients from around the world with cutting-edge compassionate care. Following are just a few of the many reasons to choose Sheba Medical Center in Israel for stage 4 sarcoma treatment:
- Sheba operates the latest robotic surgical systems, including the Da Vinci Xi.
- Antiangiogenesis: Antiangiogenesis is a breakthrough treatment for metastatic sarcoma, which inhibits the development of blood vessels that feed metastases. Research trials showed that in 46% of the patients who received the therapy, the enlargement of 31% of the metastases was stopped.
- As a government institution, we have no hidden costs, and our fees are transparent. Although we offer advanced treatments available only in select medical institutions around the world, our prices are affordable.
- Sheba treats each patient as a unique individual, personalizing every therapy program.
- Sheba’s 360-degree care approach to every patient, which means that Sheba’s professionals will assist you with arranging medical record reviews, travel, visas, accommodations, and language interpretation as needed.
- Sheba has full accreditation from the Joint Commission International (JCI), the premier international healthcare accrediting group.
- Sheba has both advanced treatment and laboratory facilities. At Sheba, patients receive every aspect of their treatment in a single facility.
- Our physicians are actively involved in the latest research and application of progressive treatments.
At Sheba, world-class medical experts tailor advanced sarcoma treatment plans for each individual patient. Contact us now to book a consultation.
Request a consultation
Ready to contact us for a consultation about your condition and our medical services? The staff of our Global Patient Services is ready to help.
Please select the appropriate button to get started.