3 Benefits of Getting Hodgkin’s Lymphoma Chemotherapy in Israel
Chemotherapy uses drugs to kill cancer cells, and a combination of chemotherapeutic drugs is typically the primary treatment for Hodgkin’s lymphoma.
Hodgkin’s lymphoma is a type of cancer that originates in the lymphatic system, which transports lymph, a fluid that contains disease-fighting white blood cells, and circulates through the body, much like blood does. In Hodgkin’s lymphoma, the cancerous cells originate from lymphocytes, a type of white blood cell that is part of the immune system, which undergoes a genetic mutation. The mutation tells the cell to multiply rapidly, generating many diseased cells that continue multiplying. This results in a large number of oversized, abnormal lymphocytes accumulating in the lymphatic system, where they crowd out healthy cells and cause the signs and symptoms of Hodgkin’s lymphoma. While Hodgkin’s lymphoma can affect people of any age, it is most common in people between the ages of 20 and 40, and those over 55. The latest treatments for Hodgkin’s lymphoma include chemotherapy, targeted therapy, radiation therapy, and bone marrow transplantation. However, chemotherapy is usually the primary treatment for Hodgkin’s lymphoma.
Chemotherapy for Hodgkin’s Lymphoma Patients
Chemotherapy, often referred to as “chemo,” is a type of treatment for cancer that involves medication, or a combination of different medications, given intravenously to the patient. Ultimately, the goal of chemo is to slow down or totally stop the growth of cancer cells. Sometimes, chemotherapy is the only treatment needed, while other times it is used along with radiation therapy, surgery, or both. As stated, a combination of chemotherapeutic drugs is typically the primary treatment for Hodgkin’s lymphoma.
Chemo is a systemic therapy, meaning that it affects the entire body – in contrast to surgery and radiation, which removes, kills, or damages cancer cells in a particular area. In practice, this means that chemotherapy can be used to eradicate cancer cells that have metastasized (spread) throughout the rest of the body, and not just cells in the original tumor.
The specific function of chemo depends on the kind of cancer being treated and how far it has progressed, but chemotherapy can serve four main roles:
- To destroy cancer cells completely and put cancer into remission.
- To control the growth and spread of cancer.
- To ease symptoms by shrinking a tumor.
- To prevent disease recurrence.
Benefits of Getting Hodgkin’s Lymphoma Treatment in Israel
- Advanced Treatment: Medical institutions in Israel and the US often collaborate in advanced cancer research, developing new and effective treatments and medications against the disease, yet Israel has fewer constraints than the US when it comes to adopting novel treatments. Israeli clinical trials still adhere to the highest standards of safety, but innovative treatments are generally made available to patients sooner than in the US.
- Quality of Care: Israeli physicians are exceptionally well-trained and often spend even more time on their medical education than American doctors. Also, you can be assured of high standards and strict safety regulations if you choose a hospital accredited by a trustworthy authority.
- Cost: In many countries, healthcare costs can be exorbitant. Without insurance, the costs of cancer treatment can be crippling. Prices are much lower in Israel, averaging 30-80% less than in the US, for example. That said, you’re not trading affordability for quality, since Israeli specialists, medical institutions, equipment, and procedures are among the most advanced in the world.
Where to Pursue Chemotherapy in Israel?
Having discovered a few of the many advantages of getting chemotherapy for Hodgkin’s lymphoma in Israel, where exactly should you pursue it? Sheba Medical Center is an exceptional choice. The largest hospital in Israel, and one of the 10 best hospitals in the world according to Newsweek magazine, Sheba is dedicated to providing Hodgkin Lymphoma patients with world-class medical care.
The advantages of receiving treatment at Sheba Medical Center include:
- Sheba’s 360-degree care approach to every patient, which means that Sheba’s professionals will assist you with arranging medical record reviews, travel, visas, accommodations, and language interpretation as needed.
- As a government institution, we have no hidden costs, and our fees are transparent. Although we offer advanced treatments that are available only in select medical institutions around the world, our prices are affordable.
- Sheba has full accreditation from the Joint Commission International (JCI), the premier international healthcare accrediting group.
- Sheba has both advanced treatment and laboratory facilities. At Sheba, patients receive every aspect of their treatment in a single facility.
If you or a loved one has been diagnosed with Hodgkin’s lymphoma, it’s critical to receive rapid, precise treatment. Contact the specialists at Sheba Medical Center in Israel to schedule a free personal consultation.
Request a consultation
Ready to contact us for a consultation about your condition and our medical services? The staff of our Global Patient Services is ready to help.
Please select the appropriate button to get started.