6 Benefits of Advanced Wilms’ Tumor Diagnosis in Israel
Learn more about the benefits of personalized medicine for Wilms’ Tumor Diagnosis in Israel.
Wilms’ tumor, also known as nephroblastoma, is a kidney cancer that primarily affects children. The malignancy, which is the fourth most common pediatric cancer, usually manifests in children between the ages of 3 to 4 and becomes much less common after the age of 5. Wilms’ tumor most often occurs in just one kidney, though it can sometimes be found in both kidneys at the same time.
The malignancy develops as a result of a kidney cell mutation that causes cells to grow and divide uncontrollably and to go on living when normal cells would usually die. These malignant cells can then spread to other organs – most often to the lungs and abdominal lymph nodes.
After an initial diagnosis of the malignancy, doctors need to address Wilms’ tumor staging, or to determine the malignancy’s stage by assessing its size and whether it has invaded other tissues in order to determine the best treatment approach
Generally, Wilms’ tumors tend to grow rather large before they are detected, though they are usually found before they metastasize.
Over the years, advancements in the diagnosis and treatment of Wilms’ tumor have greatly improved the outlook for patients suffering from the malignancy. When the malignancy is quickly and precisely diagnosed, and patients are given appropriate treatment, the prognosis for most, especially when dealing with pediatric cases, is very good. Treatment options depend on the type and size of the tumor, and include removal by means of surgery, radiation therapy, chemotherapy, targeted therapy, and in some cases, bone marrow transplantation.
Benefits of Personalized Medicine for Wilms’ Tumor Diagnosis in Israel
Personalized medicine involves using advanced diagnostic tools to identify the unique genetic and molecular profile of each patient and applying tailored therapies accordingly. The last decade saw a giant leap forward in the genomic sequencing of malignancies, and leading medical institutions can now use the latest genomic diagnostic tools to identify the optimal therapies for a particular patient, ensuring that they receive the most effective treatment and avoids the negative effects of less suitable options. The advantages of personalized medicine include:
- Preempting disease progression
- Tailoring treatment to a patient’s unique needs
- Prescribing more effective drugs
- Optimizing the risk-benefit ratio of therapies
- Avoiding the administration of drugs with predictable side effects
- Eliminating trial-and-error inefficiencies that undermine patient care
At Sheba Medical Center, our Hemato-Oncology Division has the latest genomic diagnostic tools to both aid Wilms’ tumor diagnosis, and in tailoring a treatment plan for each individual patient – and for each stage of the disease.
Among the advanced genetic and molecular diagnostic tools used at Sheba are:
- Fluorescence in situ hybridization (FISH): A test that “maps” the genetic material in a person’s cells.
- Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR): A laboratory technique used to make many copies of a specific piece of DNA to more easily identify certain changes in a gene or chromosome, which can help locate and diagnose a malignancy.
- Next-generation sequencing, such as gene panel sequencing (DNA and RNA), mutation profile characterization, methylation profile, and response markers for immunotherapies.
Reasons to Get Wilms’ Tumor Diagnosis and Treatment in Israel
- Quality of Care: Israeli physicians are exceptionally well-trained and often spend even more time on their medical education than American doctors. Also, you can be assured of high standards and strict safety regulations if you choose a hospital accredited by a trustworthy authority.
- Cost: In many countries, healthcare costs can be exorbitant. Without insurance, the costs of cancer treatment can be crippling. Prices are much lower in Israel, averaging 30-80% less than in the US, for example. That said, you’re not trading affordability for quality, since Israeli specialists, medical institutions, equipment, and procedures are among the most advanced in the world.
- Advanced Treatment: Medical institutions in Israel and the US often collaborate in advanced cancer research, developing new and effective treatments against the disease, yet Israel has fewer constraints than the US when it comes to adopting novel treatments. Israeli clinical trials still adhere to the highest standards of safety, but innovative treatments are generally made available to patients sooner than in the US
Where to Pursue Diagnosis and Treatment in Israel?
Having discovered a few of the many advantages of choosing Israel for Wilms’ tumor diagnosis and treatment, where exactly should you pursue it? Sheba Medical Center is an exceptional choice. One of the 10 best hospitals in the world according to Newsweek magazine, Sheba is dedicated to providing patients with world-class medical care.
The advantages of receiving treatment at Sheba Medical Center include:
- As a government institution, we have no hidden costs, and our fees are transparent. Although we offer advanced treatments that are available only in select medical institutions around the world, our prices are affordable.
- Sheba treats each patient as a unique individual, personalizing every therapy program.
- Sheba’s 360-degree care approach to every patient, which means that Sheba’s professionals will assist you with arranging medical record reviews, travel, visas, accommodations, and language interpretation as needed.
- Sheba has full accreditation from the Joint Commission International (JCI), the premier international healthcare accrediting group.
- Sheba has both advanced treatment and laboratory facilities. At Sheba, patients receive every aspect of their treatment in a single facility.
- Our physicians are actively involved in the latest research and application of progressive treatments.
- Exceptional experience: As a national and international referral center for diagnosing and treating ocular tumors, Sheba’s Ocular Oncology Center has extensive experience treating retinoblastoma; specialists collaborate with experts at our Goldschleger Eye Institute, the largest facility for ocular medicine in Israel
- Multidisciplinary medicine: at Sheba, specialists from various departments, including hemato-oncologists, geneticists, neuro-radiologists, and radiation oncologists, collaborate to create a holistic treatment plan.
Has your child been diagnosed with Wilms’ tumor and need guidance? We’re here to help. Contact us at Sheba Medical Center to book a consultation and learn more about therapeutic and diagnostic options available in Israel.
Request a consultation
Ready to contact us for a consultation about your condition and our medical services? The staff of our International Medical Tourism Division is ready to help.
Please select the appropriate button to get started.