Why Many Choose to Get Neuroblastoma Treatment in Israel
Learn about the advanced neuroblastoma treatment options in Israel.
Neuroblastoma occurs when cancer cells begin to grow in immature nerve cells located within the sympathetic nervous system. It generally appears first in the adrenal glands, which are responsible for producing hormones and are located above the kidneys. However, it can also develop in any part of the body that has a cluster of nerve cells, such as the chest, neck, and spine. Neuroblastoma usually manifests in children under the age of 5 and is rare in adults – only around 6% of cases occur in patients older than 20. In adults, neuroblastoma is often metastatic and portends an extremely poor overall survival rate. Multiple studies have shown that the prognosis of neuroblastoma worsens with age, and adults with neuroblastoma have significantly worse 5- and 10-year survival rates. Available treatments for neuroblastoma in Israel include chemotherapy, bone marrow transplantation and radiation therapy. MIBG therapy is a targeted form of radiation therapy that is particularly effective for neuroblastoma treatment, but is only available at select medical institutions.
Radiation therapy, also called radiotherapy or irradiation, is one of the most common approaches to cancer therapy. Over half of all people with cancer will be treated with radiation therapy. In contrast to chemotherapy, which can expose your entire body to drugs that fight cancer, radiation therapy is typically localized. This treatment makes use of high-energy rays that precisely target and destroy cancer cells, thereby minimizing the harm to healthy surrounding tissues. Radiotherapy damages the DNA inside cancer cells so they cannot continue to grow and divide, and eventually, they die.
Radiation therapy can be used to shrink or cure early-stage cancer, destroy cancer cells before a bone marrow transplantation, prevent cancer from recurring, treat the symptoms of advanced cancer and treat a recurrence of cancer. When treating neuroblastoma, select medical institutions also offer MIBG therapy, an advanced form of radiation therapy in which a compound called metaiodobenzylguanidine (MIBG) is combined with radioactive iodine (I-131) to deliver targeted radiation treatment. This form of therapy is particularly effective against neuroblastoma since MIBG is a compound only absorbed by certain types of nerve tissue, including neuroblastoma cells. According to recent studies, 80-85% of neuroblastomas tend to absorb MIBG, and are subsequently killed by the radiation emitted by I-131.
Typically, radiation treatment lasts for two weeks, with the patient receiving small doses of radiation each day. At Sheba Medical Center, following our philosophy of holistic medicine, we pay close attention to how cancer affects your overall wellbeing and quality of life to determine the optimal radiation treatment plan for you, which can include, if deemed necessary, MIBG therapy.
Benefits of Getting Neuroblastoma Treatment in Israel
- Advanced Treatment: Medical institutions in Israel and the US often collaborate in advanced cancer research, developing new and effective treatments against the disease, yet Israel has fewer constraints than the US when it comes to adopting novel treatments. Israeli clinical trials still adhere to the highest standards of safety, but innovative treatments are generally made available to patients sooner than in the US.
- Quality of Care: Israeli physicians are exceptionally well-trained and often spend even more time on their medical education than American doctors. Also, you can be assured of high standards and strict safety regulations if you choose a hospital accredited by a trustworthy authority.
- Cost: In many countries, healthcare costs can be exorbitant. Without insurance, the costs of cancer treatment can be crippling. Prices are much lower in Israel, averaging 30-80% less than in the US, for example. That said, you’re not trading affordability for quality, since Israeli specialists, medical institutions, equipment, and procedures are among the most advanced in the world.
Where to Pursue Neuroblastoma Treatment in Israel?
Having discovered advanced neuroblastoma treatment options in israel, where exactly should you pursue it? Sheba Medical Center is an exceptional choice. One of the 10 best hospitals in the world according to Newsweek magazine, Sheba Medical Center is dedicated to providing patients with world-class medical care.
The advantages of receiving treatment at Sheba Medical Center include:
- Sheba treats each patient as a unique individual, personalizing every therapy program.
- Sheba’s 360-degree care approach to every patient, which means that Sheba’s professionals will assist you with arranging medical record reviews, travel, visas, accommodations, and language interpretation as needed.
- Sheba has full accreditation from the Joint Commission International (JCI), the premier international healthcare accrediting group.
- Sheba has both advanced treatment and laboratory facilities. At Sheba, patients receive every aspect of their treatment in a single facility.
- Our physicians are actively involved in the latest research and application of progressive treatments.
- As a government institution, we have no hidden costs, and our fees are transparent. We have affordable prices even though we offer advanced treatments that are available only in select medical institutions around the world.
Looking for advanced neuroblastoma treatment options in Israel? Contact us now to learn more about the experienced physicians and cutting-edge technologies used for neuroblastoma treatment at Sheba Medical Center.
Request a consultation
Ready to contact us for a consultation about your condition and our medical services? The staff of our International Medical Tourism Division is ready to help.
Please select the appropriate button to get started.