Learn Why People Travel to Israel to Get a Bone Marrow Transplantation for Myelodysplastic Syndrome
With an advanced healthcare system, state-of-the-art facilities, and comparably lower costs, Israel is a leading choice for bone marrow transplantation for myelodysplastic syndrome.
Myelodysplastic syndromes (MDS) are a group of disorders that originate in the bone marrow and are caused by blood cells that are poorly formed or don’t function properly. In MDS, partially differentiated blood cells do not develop and mature into healthy platelets, red blood cells, or white blood cells. Since they remain immature, they do not function properly and die either in the blood marrow or shortly after entering the bloodstream. As a result, MDS eventually lead to a lack of healthy blood cells in your body.
Originally, myelodysplastic syndromes were regarded as preleukemic conditions, and they were only classified as distinct disorders in 1976. This is because in about 1 out of every 3 patients, myelodysplastic syndromes develop into acute myeloid leukemia (AML), a disease in which defective malignant blood cells grow uncontrollably. MDS is relatively rare among most age groups; however, in patients over 60 it is estimated that the incidence is between 20-50 per 100,000 people.
Treatment options for myelodysplastic syndromes include blood transfusions, chemotherapy, targeted drug treatment, and bone marrow transplantation – the only treatment with the potential to cure MDS.
Bone Marrow Transplantation for Myelodysplastic Syndromes
When necessary, bone marrow transplants can be undertaken as part of the treatment plan for myelodysplastic syndrome. The procedure involves depleting diseased bone marrow with chemotherapy or radiation and then intravenously infusing healthy donor cells into the patient. The new partially differentiated cells travel to the bone marrow, where they begin to produce new blood cells. At Sheba Medical Center, the largest hospital in Israel, the Department of Bone Marrow Transplants features 14 private rooms, alongside comprehensive, high-tech laboratories and clinics – enabling all steps of the transplant procedure to be completed efficiently on-site. The department has performed more than 2,000 transplants to date and employs a diverse team of world-renowned specialists, including hematologists, medical oncologists, and radiation oncologists, who all work together to provide optimized treatments for each individual patient.
Benefits of Myelodysplastic Syndrome Treatment in Israel
- Quality of Care: Israeli physicians are exceptionally well-trained and often spend even more time on their medical education than American doctors. Also, you can be assured of high standards and strict safety regulations if you choose a hospital accredited by a trustworthy authority.
- Cost: In many countries, healthcare costs can be exorbitant. Without insurance, the costs of cancer treatment can be crippling. Prices are much lower in Israel, averaging 30-80% less than in the US, for example. That said, you’re not trading affordability for quality, since Israeli specialists, medical institutions, equipment, and procedures are among the most advanced in the world.
- Advanced Treatment: Medical institutions in Israel and the US often collaborate in advanced cancer research, developing new and effective treatments against the disease, yet Israel has fewer constraints than the US when it comes to adopting novel treatments. Israeli clinical trials still adhere to the highest standards of safety, but innovative treatments are generally made available to patients sooner than in the US
Where to Pursue Myelodysplastic Syndrome Bone Marrow Transplantation in Israel?
Having discovered a few of the many advantages of choosing Israel for a myelodysplastic syndrome bone marrow transplantation, where exactly should you pursue it? Sheba Medical Center is an exceptional choice. One of the 10 best hospitals in the world according to Newsweek magazine, Sheba is dedicated to providing patients with world-class medical care.
The advantages of receiving treatment at Sheba Medical Center include:
- As a government institution, we have no hidden costs, and our fees are transparent. Although we offer advanced treatments that are available only in select medical institutions around the world, our prices are affordable.
- Sheba treats each patient as a unique individual, personalizing every therapy program.
- Sheba’s 360-degree care approach to every patient, which means that Sheba’s professionals will assist you with arranging medical record reviews, travel, visas, accommodations, and language interpretation as needed.
- Sheba has full accreditation from the Joint Commission International (JCI), the premier international healthcare accrediting group.
- Sheba has both advanced treatment and laboratory facilities. At Sheba, patients receive every aspect of their treatment in a single facility.
- Our physicians are actively involved in the latest research and application of progressive treatments.