The Advantages of Targeted Therapy for Metastatic Rhabdomyosarcoma Treatment in Israel
Learn more about the advanced procedures available for metastatic rhabdomyosarcoma treatment in Israel.
Rhabdomyosarcoma (RMS) is a relatively rare type of soft tissue cancer that usually forms in skeletal muscle tissue or sometimes hollow organs such as the bladder or uterus. A mutation in cells called rhabdomyoblasts, which normally develop into skeletal muscles, can result in the creation of RMS cells. The mutation causes these cells to multiply quickly and to go on living when healthy cells would normally die. The result is a mass (tumor) of malignant cells that can invade and destroy healthy body tissue. While rhabdomyosarcoma is more common in children and teens, it can also occur in adults, who are more likely to have faster-growing and metastatic RMS.
Types of rhabdomyosarcoma:
- Embryonal rhabdomyosarcoma (ERMS) – the most common type in young children that tends to occur in the head and neck area, bladder, vagina, or in or around the prostate and testicles.
- Alveolar rhabdomyosarcoma (ARMS) – the most common type in older children, which is usually faster growing than ERMS, and tends to occur in the large muscles of the arms, legs, and trunk. Cases of metastatic alveolar rhabdomyosarcoma are more common compared to ERMS.
- Pleomorphic rhabdomyosarcoma – pleomorphic rhabdomyosarcoma, also known as anaplastic rhabdomyosarcoma, is an uncommon but most aggressive type of rhabdomyosarcoma that usually occurs in adults and is often discovered in the extremities. Pleomorphic rhabdomyosarcoma is often metastatic.
Since the treatment of RMS can be complex, especially when dealing with relapsed or metastatic rhabdomyosarcoma, it is crucial to choose a medical center staffed with top-tier cancer specialists and medical experts with experience in a wide range of disciplines for treatment. A treatment plan for metastatic rhabdomyosarcoma must take into consideration the tumor’s type, size, and location, and may include surgery, chemotherapy, targeted drugs, and radiation therapy.
In recent years, medical research has shed light on some of the main differences between normal cells and cancer cells. It is these differences, or mutations, that cause the latter to grow and spread out of control. This information led to the development of specialized drugs that can precisely identify and attack certain types of cancer cells.
Targeted therapy, officially classified as biological treatment, is a type of cancer treatment that uses these specialized drugs that target cancer cells while leaving healthy cells alone. Targeted therapy destroys cancer cells by blocking chemical signals that tell them to grow; changing proteins within the cells so they die; preventing new blood vessels from forming that would otherwise feed cancer cells; triggering the immune system to kill cancer cells; or sending toxins to the cancer cells to destroy them. Since these specialized drugs are made to only target specific cancer cells, targeted drugs can, in many cases, be more effective than chemotherapy, and they often have fewer side effects.
When dealing with metastatic cases of rhabdomyosarcoma, doctors are forced to use high chemotherapy doses in order to achieve the desired effects- a dosage that can cause severe side effects to the patient. By applying targeted drugs, these effects can be seriously mitigated. Metastatic rhabdomyosarcoma treatment in Israel often involves the use of these advanced drugs.
As cancer treatment research continues to advance, new and better targeted therapies are constantly being engineered. At Sheba, our skilled scientists and oncologists are leading the way in the clinical application of cutting-edge targeted therapies.
Reasons to Seek Metastatic Rhabdomyosarcoma Treatment in Israel
- Quality of Care: Israeli physicians are exceptionally well-trained and often spend even more time on their medical education than American doctors. Also, you can be assured of high standards and strict safety regulations if you choose a hospital accredited by a trustworthy authority.
- Cost: In many countries, healthcare costs can be exorbitant. Without insurance, the costs of cancer treatment can be crippling. Prices are much lower in Israel, averaging 30-80% less than in the US, for example. That said, you’re not trading affordability for quality, since Israeli specialists, medical institutions, equipment, and procedures are among the most advanced in the world.
- Advanced Treatment: Medical institutions in Israel and the US often collaborate in advanced cancer research, developing new and effective treatments against the disease, yet Israel has fewer constraints than the US when it comes to adopting novel treatments. Israeli clinical trials still adhere to the highest standards of safety, but innovative treatments are generally made available to patients sooner than in the US
Where to Pursue Treatment in Israel?
Having discovered a few of the many reasons to get metastatic rhabdomyosarcoma treatment in Israel, where exactly should you pursue it? Sheba Medical Center is an exceptional choice. One of the 10 best hospitals in the world according to Newsweek magazine, Sheba is dedicated to providing patients with world-class medical care.
The advantages of receiving treatment at Sheba Medical Center include:
- Antiangiogenesis: Antiangiogenesis is a breakthrough treatment for metastatic sarcoma, which inhibits the development of blood vessels that feed metastases. Research trials showed that in 46% of the patients who received the therapy, the enlargement of 31% of the metastases was stopped.
- As a government institution, we have no hidden costs, and our fees are transparent. Although we offer advanced treatments that are available only in select medical institutions around the world, our prices are affordable.
- Sheba treats each patient as a unique individual, personalizing every therapy program.
- Sheba’s 360-degree care approach to every patient, which means that Sheba’s professionals will assist you with arranging medical record reviews, travel, visas, accommodations, and language interpretation as needed.
- Sheba has full accreditation from the Joint Commission International (JCI), the premier international healthcare accrediting group.
- Sheba has both advanced treatment and laboratory facilities. At Sheba, patients receive every aspect of their treatment in a single facility.
- Our physicians are actively involved in the latest research and application of progressive treatments.