6 Reasons to Choose Sheba Medical Center in Israel for Medulloblastoma Treatment
Learn more about radiotherapy and other advanced treatments available for the treatment of medulloblastoma in Israel.
Medulloblastoma is a rare type of malignant central nervous system (CNS) tumor that most commonly forms in the cerebellum, the lower back part of the brain involved in muscle coordination, balance, and movement. Medulloblastoma tends to spread through the cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) — the fluid that surrounds and protects your brain and spinal cord — to other areas around the brain and spinal cord, and can also sometimes, yet rarely, spread to the lymphatic system or bones. All medulloblastoma tumors are categorized as grade IV tumors, which means they are fast-growing and malignant. In recent years, several studies have shown that there may be a few different forms or subtypes of medulloblastoma, identified based on the types of genetic mutations found within the tumor.
Medulloblastoma can occur at any age, but mostly affects young children under the age of 15. Although medulloblastoma is rare, it is the most common cancerous brain tumor in children and accounts for about 15-20% of all pediatric brain tumors.
Medulloblastoma treatment options depend on the type and size of the tumor, and include surgery, radiation therapy, chemotherapy, targeted therapy, and in some cases, bone marrow transplantation.
Radiation therapy, also called radiotherapy or irradiation, is one of the most common approaches to cancer therapy in general, and a common treatment for medulloblastoma. Over half of all people with cancer will be treated with radiation therapy. Radiotherapy damages the DNA inside cancer cells so they cannot continue to grow and divide, and eventually die. During radiotherapy sessions, high-energy rays precisely target and destroy cancer cells, thereby minimizing the harm to healthy surrounding tissues.
Radiation therapy can be used to shrink or cure early-stage cancer, to complement a surgical procedure and ensure its success, to prevent cancer from recurring, to treat a recurrence of cancer, and to destroy cancer cells before a bone marrow transplantation. Typically, the treatment lasts for two weeks, with the patient receiving small doses of radiation each day.
At Sheba Medical Center, our radiation oncologists have specialized techniques to determine the dose and volume of radiation so that it provides the most benefits with minimal long-term effects for the overall health of the patient.
Benefits of Getting Medulloblastoma Treatment in Israel
- Quality of Care: Israeli physicians are exceptionally well-trained and often spend even more time on their medical education than American doctors. Also, you can be assured of high standards and strict safety regulations if you choose a hospital accredited by a trustworthy authority.
- Cost: In many countries, healthcare costs can be exorbitant. Without insurance, the costs of cancer treatment can be crippling. Prices are much lower in Israel, averaging 30-80% less than in the US, for example. That said, you’re not trading affordability for quality, since Israeli specialists, medical institutions, equipment, and procedures are among the most advanced in the world.
- Advanced Treatment: Medical institutions in Israel and the US often collaborate in advanced cancer research, developing new and effective treatments against the disease, yet Israel has fewer constraints than the US when it comes to adopting novel treatments. Israeli clinical trials still adhere to the highest standards of safety, but innovative treatments are generally made available to patients sooner than in the US
Where to Pursue Medulloblastoma Treatment in Israel?
Having discovered a few of the many advantages of receiving medulloblastoma treatment in Israel, where exactly should you pursue it? Sheba Medical Center is an exceptional choice. One of the 10 best hospitals in the world according to Newsweek magazine, Sheba is dedicated to providing patients with world-class medical care.
The advantages of receiving treatment at Sheba Medical Center include:
- As a government institution, we have no hidden costs, and our fees are transparent. Although we offer advanced treatments that are available only in select medical institutions around the world, our prices are affordable.
- Sheba treats each patient as a unique individual, personalizing every therapy program.
- Sheba’s 360-degree care approach to every patient, which means that Sheba’s professionals will assist you with arranging medical record reviews, travel, visas, accommodations, and language interpretation as needed.
- Sheba has full accreditation from the Joint Commission International (JCI), the premier international healthcare accrediting group.
- Sheba has both advanced treatment and laboratory facilities. At Sheba, patients receive every aspect of their treatment in a single facility.
- Our physicians are actively involved in the latest research and application of progressive treatments.