Israel not only has one of the world’s most advanced healthcare systems, but is also a cost effective choice for medical tourism.
Leukemia is a cancer of the body’s blood-forming tissues, including the bone marrow and the lymphatic system. Many types of leukemia exist, but it most commonly involves white blood cells. Standard treatments, such as radiation and chemotherapy, often fail to eradicate the disease, but cutting-edge leukemia treatments, offered in Israel, offer hope to patients.
Benefits of Leukemia Treatment in Israel:
- Advanced Treatment: Medical institutions in Israel and the US often collaborate in advanced cancer research, developing new and effective treatments against the disease, yet Israel has fewer constraints than the US when it comes to adopting novel treatments. Israeli clinical trials still adhere to the highest standards of safety, but innovative treatments are generally made available to patients sooner than in the US.
- CAR T-cell Therapy: CAR T-cell therapy is an innovative immunotherapy that involves stimulating immune T-cells to attack cancer. A new and advanced treatment, CAR T-cell therapy, is available in Israel and relatively few other countries around the world.
- Quality of Care: Israeli physicians are exceptionally well-trained and often spend even more time on their medical education than American doctors. Also, you can be assured of high standards and strict safety regulations if you choose a hospital accredited by a trustworthy authority.
- Cost: In many countries, healthcare costs can be exorbitant. Without insurance, the price of cancer treatment can be crippling. Costs are much lower in Israel, averaging 30-80% less than in the US, for example. That said, you’re not trading affordability for quality, since Israeli specialists, medical institutions, equipment, and procedures are among the most advanced in the world.
Where to Pursue Leukemia Treatment in Israel
Having discovered a few of the many benefits of traveling to Israel for Leukemia Treatment, where exactly should you seek treatment in Israel? Sheba Medical Center is an exceptional choice. As the largest hospital in Israel, Sheba is dedicated to providing patients with world-class medical care.
The advantages of choosing Sheba Medical center for leukemia treatment include:
- Sheba’s 360-degree care approach to every patient, which means that Sheba’s professionals will assist you with arranging medical record reviews, travel, visas, accommodations, and language interpretation as needed.
- Sheba has full accreditation from the Joint Commission International (JCI), the premiere international healthcare accrediting group.
- Sheba has both advanced treatment and laboratory facilities. At Sheba, patients receive every aspect of their treatment in a single facility.
Dima Ashepkov’s Story – Leukemia Treatment at Sheba Medical Center
“It just felt like the ground had fallen out from beneath me”
In February 2012, a family from Chelyabinsk, Russia, faced a critical situation. Their 11-month-old son, Dima, was seriously ill. Dima’s mother, Julia, recalls: “For an entire month, Dima suffered from recurring fevers and small bruises appeared on his body.” On February 22, his condition deteriorated sharply, and Dima was taken to intensive care. Dima’s mother, Julia told us that: “When Dima was taken away, the doctor said to prepare for the worst since he was in very serious condition. I cannot describe my feelings. It just felt like the ground had fallen out from beneath me … The doctor told us that, judging from his test results, he didn’t have much time left.”
The diagnosis shook Dima’s parents – acute lymphoblastic leukemia. According to Julia: “My husband and I talked with the head of the department in an attempt to understand Dima’s prognosis. We were told his chance of recovery was 50/50. My husband and I simply could not accept that. I had met a family online whose daughter was successfully treated at Sheba Medical Center. Sheba’s recovery rate was much higher than that of Russian hospitals, so we decided to visit Sheba and have Dima treated there. Dr. Hana Golan was the physician who treated Dima at Sheba, and I thank her sincerely for saving our son’s life.”
Fortunately, as Julia describes, the treatment was successful: “We often receive calls from others wondering where they can get better treatment. We always recommend Sheba Medical Center. This is the hospital we trust and the best in Israel, in my opinion. They are compassionate professionals. Dima is 6 years old now, and thanks to them he won his battle against leukemia.” Read Dima’s full story.