Prof. Gabi Zeilig is the director of the Department of Neurological Rehabilitation and the National Spinal Cord Injury Rehabilitation Unit at the Sheba Medical Center, Tel Hashomer, Israel since 1999. He was born in 1953 in Timisoara, Romania and emigrated in Israel in 1970. Prof. Zeilig received his MD from Milano University, Italy and he was certified as a specialist in PM&R in 1990, at the Tel Aviv University, Israel. He has continued on the staff since that time, with a break from 1993 to 1995 for a Critical Care Neurotrauma and Neurorehabilitation fellowship at the University of Maryland Medical Center, Baltimore, USA.
His major areas of clinical interest include rehabilitation of people with neurological conditions such as spinal cord injury, stroke, traumatic brain injury, multiple sclerosis, etc. He is also interested in the use and development of new technologies for enhancing CNS plasticity and functioning in this population. The results of his research have been published in many papers in peer-reviewed international medical journals or presented in international conferences. He is an associate clinical professor at Tel Aviv University and the head of the department of PM&R at the Sackler School of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Israel. Prof. Zeilig is a member of the Editorial Boards in scientific journals and is an ad hoc reviewer in several others.
Conditions and treatment
- Neurological trauma
- Neurological damage
- Physical medicine
- Multiple sclerosis
- Guillain-Barré syndrome
- Mvement disorders
- Spinal cord injuries
- Brain injury
- Director of the Department of Neurological Rehabilitation, Sheba Medical Center
- Director of the National Spinal Cord Injury Rehabilitation Unit, Sheba Medical Center
- Associate Clinical Professor, Head of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation at the Sackler School of Medicine, TAU
- Membership in professional societies: Israel Medical Association, Israel Association of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, International Medical Society of Paraplegia, England, Israel Association of Neurotrauma, American Society of Neurorehabilitation, American Spine Injury Association (ASIA), Israel Association of Spine medicine
- Beit Halochem, Veteran’s Sports, Recreation & Rehabilitation Center, Tel Aviv– Attending Physician
- Ministry of Defense – Authorized Physician
- "Lewis” National Rehabilitation Institute for Orthotics – Authorized Physician
- The Israeli National Insurance Institute – Consultant physician
- IDF – Consultant physician for neurological rehabilitation
Education and Training
- MD from the University of Milan Medical School, Italy
- Residency in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation at the Sheba Medical Center
- Fellowship in Critical Care Neurotrauma and Neurorehabilitation at the University of Maryland Medical Center, USA
- Physical Medicine
Request a consultation
Sheba Medical Center provides innovative, personalized medical care to patients from around the world. We are the largest, most comprehensive hospital in the Middle East and dedicated to providing advanced and compassionate medicine for everyone.
We welcome all cases, including the rarest and the most challenging. Our medical teams collaborate to provide the best possible health outcomes. From your initial inquiry through the long-term follow-up care, we are here for you.
Request a consultation and a Sheba Case Manager will contact you shortly: