Dr. Harry Winkler is a senior physician in the Urology Department, Head of the Kidney Stone Center and Endoscopic Surgery. His clinical experience include kidney stones and urinary tract laser endoscopic urological surgery, congenital and acquired tumors of the urinary tract, crushing kidney stones, prostate and bladder surgery. He is a Lecturer in the Sackler School of Medicine, Tel Aviv University.
The Kidney Stone Center and Endoscopic Surgery Unit of the Department of Urology receives patients with calculi along the urinary tract. The primary treatments provided by the Center include extracorporeal treatment using the Shock-Wave Lithotriptor (SWL) and Endoscopic Stone Removal. We treat stones all along the urinary tract, as well as the kidney and ureter. During the last three years we have tripled the number of treatments to more than 500 patients per year.
Patients who are not candidates for SWL are referred for stone removal via an Endourological procedure. Using a variety of modern fiberoptics, we are able to get into the urinary tract without the need for surgery and treat the stone. Our two primary methods are Ureteroscopy and Percutaneous Renal Surgery (PCNL). We also perform endoscopic surgery for urinary malignancies and repair of congenital anomalies of the urinary tract. We perform about 300 endoscopic operations per year.The Center is also involved in clinical and basic science research on genetic and epidemiological studies related to stone formation and stone formers, metabolism, and prevention.
The Center has a strong academic role providing teaching programs for medical students and urology residents.
- Head of the Kidney Stone Center and Endoscopic Surgery
- Lecturer, Sackler School of Medicine, Tel Aviv University
- Member of the American, European, International Association of Urology
- Member of the World Association of Urology
Conditions and treatment
- kidney stones
- urinary tract
- endoscopic urological surgery
- congenital tumors of the urinary tract
- acquired tumors of the urinary tract
- prostate surgery
- bladder surgery
Education and Training
- MD graduate, Sackler School of Medicine, Tel Aviv University
- Specialization in Urology, Beilinson Medical Center
- Professional Training: Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota, United States
- Medical Center kidney stones treatment, Methodist Campus, Indianapolis, USA
- Barnes Clinic, Washington University, St. Louis, USA