The Movement Disorders Institute
The Movement Disorders Institute
The Movement Disorders Institute at Sheba Medical Center features the latest medical and surgical treatments for patients with a wide range of movement disorders. Our multidisciplinary staff comprises five faculty neurologists who collaborate closely with experts in neurosurgery, internal medicine, psychiatry, geriatric psychiatry, ENT, maxillofacial surgery, gastroenterology, radiology, neurological rehabilitation, and other related fields. In addition to providing a wide range of advanced therapies, we also give patients the opportunity to participate in cutting-edge academic research studies. As the largest clinic of its kind in Israel, we treat approximately 2,700 patients from Israel and abroad yearly, and we are proud to have been awarded the status of an “institute.”
Division of Internal Medicine at the Acute Care Hospital
Founded in 1999, the Movement Disorders Institute is affiliated with Sheba Medical Center’s Department of Neurology. Our facility is an integral part of the Division of Internal Medicine at Sheba Medical Center. This division of the hospital includes the following:
- Departments of Internal Medicine (A – F)
- The Research Center for Autoimmune Diseases >
- Allergy and Clinical Immunology Unit
- The Bert Strassburger Lipid Center
- The Center of Geographic Medicine and Tropical Disease
- Cord Blood Bank
- Department of Dermatology >
- Institute of Endocrinology >
- Department of Emergency Medicine
- Department of Neurology >
- Ella Institute for Treatment and Research of Melanoma and Skin Cancer >
- Institute of Gastroenterology >
- Institute of Oncology
- Institute of Nephrology and Hypertension >
- Interventional Pulmonology Unit >
- National Hemophilia Center and Institute of Thrombosis &
- The Center for Liver Diseases >
What conditions do we treat?
Upon arrival at our Movement Disorders Institute, every patient undergoes a comprehensive diagnostic evaluation. We offer state-of-the-art treatment for the following conditions:
- Parkinson’s disease
- Atypical Parkinsonisms: Multiple system atrophy, progressive supranuclear palsy, corticobasal degeneration and others
- Normal pressure hydrocephalus (NPH)
- Tourette syndrome
- Dystonia, including focal forms such as cervical dystonia, oromandibular dystonia, Meige syndrome and blepharospasm as well as forms of generalized dystonia
- Cerebellar ataxia, including Friedreich ataxia and Fragile X tremor ataxia syndrome (FXTAS)
- Gait and balance disorders
- Huntington’s disease
- Tremor disorders, including essential tremor (ET)
- Rare neurogenetic movement disorders, including cerebrotendinous xanthomatosis
What specialized treatments do we offer?
All treatment plans are custom designed to address your unique medical condition and preferences. Treatment may include:
Deep Brain Stimulation Program (DBS)
Deep brain stimulation is a well-established, safe, and effective device-aided treatment for Parkinson’s disease, essential tremor, and dystonia. The procedure involves the implantation of brain electrodes and a pulse generator (IPG) that delivers electrical pulses to stimulate parts of the brain that regulate movement. The goal of DBS is to eliminate the motor symptoms of movement disorders, such as tremors, muscle stiffness, slowness, and involuntary movements. Generally, DBS is used for patients with disabling symptoms that are unresponsive to medications or other therapies.
MR-Guided Focused Ultrasound (FUS) Thalamotomy
Magnetic resonance-guided focused ultrasound thalamotomy is a cutting-edge treatment that can be used to abolish hand tremors. At Sheba, we have been performing this non-invasive therapy since 2015. FUS focuses acoustic energy to destroy a small, highly specific area of brain tissue. Pinpoint precision prevents damage to surrounding healthy brain tissue.
Prof. Sharon Hassin-Baer, MD
Simon Israeli-Korn, MD, MRCP, PhD
Roberto Spiegelmann, MD
Zion Zibly, MD
Holistic Healthcare for Movement Disorders
At our Movement Disorders Institute, we understand that your condition can be both physically and emotionally challenging for you and your family. That’s why we customize every treatment program to address your whole being and maximize your quality of life. A multidisciplinary team of physicians, nurses, neuropsychologists, speech therapists, occupational therapists, a sexologist, and social workers provides each individual with integrative, compassionate care. All services are provided efficiently under one roof on Sheba’s comprehensive campus.
Request a consultation
Sheba Medical Center provides innovative, personalized medical care to patients from around the world. We are the largest, most comprehensive hospital in the Middle East and dedicated to providing advanced and compassionate medicine for everyone.
We welcome all cases, including the rarest and the most challenging. Our medical teams collaborate to provide the best possible health outcomes. From your initial inquiry through the long-term follow-up care, we are here for you.
Request a consultation and a Sheba Case Manager will contact you shortly: