The Josef Buchmann Gynecology and Maternity Center
The Josef Buchmann Gynecology and Maternity Center at Sheba Medical Center is the leading OB/GYN center in Israel. Established over forty years ago, this comprehensive hospital facility integrates the latest compassionate clinical care with premier scientific research in the diverse field of women’s healthcare. The large and highly qualified staff has extensive experience – treating over 17,500 inpatients and 56,000 outpatients yearly.
Our OB/GYN department is affiliated with the Sackler School of Medicine at Tel Aviv University, a world-renowned academic center. Medical students from both the Israeli and American programs perform their clinical rotation in OB/GYN here. The Josef Buchmann Gynecology and Maternity Center is one of the largest academic faculties in Israel, involved in many active research projects and regularly publishing dozens of articles in prestigious international scientific journals.
Departments in Our Center
At Sheba’s Gynecology and Maternity Center, our team comprises over 60 senior physicians and more than 20 residents and training physicians; we have the largest group of obstetricians and gynecologists in Israel. Dedicated completely to women’s healthcare, our division of the hospital offers the following advanced departments:
The department provides a full range of gynecological care, including routine and preventive services, as well as well-founded surgical techniques for managing benign gynecologic conditions. Regular screenings, such as PAP smears, pelvic examinations, and diagnosis of gynecologic cancers are performed.
We routinely administer endoscopic gynecological surgery via laparoscopy, surgery of the uterine cavity via hysteroscopy, and ablation of the uterine endometrium. Both ambulatory and inpatient care are offered.
- Fetal Loss Clinic
- Postmenopausal Clinic
Gynecologic Oncology Department
Diagnostic, therapeutic, and surgical services are offered for many cancers of the female reproductive system, including:
- Surgical treatments – including radical surgery, and minimally invasive laparoscopic and hysteroscopic approaches
- Radiation therapy (in conjunction with the Department of Radiation Oncology)
- Laser therapy for management of pre-invasive cervical disease
- Percutaneous umbilical cord sampling
- Advanced biopsy techniques, such as vulvar biopsies and cervical cone biopsies
IVF Unit Fertility Clinic
At the forefront of the maternity field, Sheba’s cutting-edge unit provides diagnosis and treatment of fertility problems. Over 1,000 IVF procedures are performed yearly, including:
- IVF treatment – ICSI, laser AHA, micromanipulation, US-guided embryo placement, blastocyst growth, and embryo cryopreservation
- ZIFT treatment to return eggs, sperm, or embryo to the uterus or fallopian tubes
- Infertility treatment, such as uterine resection, fallopian tube blockage, ovarian and fibroid cysts.
- Preimplantation genetic diagnosis (PGD); performed in conjunction with the Genetics Institute
- Treatment of sperm quantity and quality
- Fertility preservation for men and women who have been diagnosed with cancer
- Support groups for couples undergoing treatment
Maternal Fetal Medicine Service
Our integrative services fulfill all aspects of perinatal care for pregnant women, ranging from prenatal follow-up for the healthy mother to advanced treatments for the complicated pregnancy. The departmental staff features perinatologists who trained at leading international hospitals, working alongside geneticists, genetic counselors, ultrasonographers, and perinatal nurse clinicians.
We regularly perform:
- Percutaneous umbilical cord sampling
- Advanced imaging – ultrasound and Doppler
The Suzanne Levy-Gertner Oncogenetics Unit
Patients with a personal or family history of cancer can receive counseling and genetic testing at this department. While our main focus is breast and ovarian cancer, we provide services for all types of cancer. Women at high risk for breast cancer are referred to Sheba’s Meirav Breast Cancer Center.
OB/GYN Ultrasonic Imaging Unit
This department encompasses four distinct fields of healthcare:
- Prenatal diagnosis and cervical assessment, including sonoembryology, nuchal translucency, targeted organ survey, transvaginal fetal echocardiography, organ-specific surveys, late second trimester organ surveys
- Fetal therapy, dealing with the evaluation and intrauterine therapy of pathologies related to fetal anemia and thrombocytopenia, multifetal pregnancies, and intrauterine infection assessment
- Gynecologic pelvic assessment, using regular ultrasonic screening and non-invasive techniques on pelvic tumors (benign and malignant), extrauterine pregnancies, evaluation of endometrial pathology, and pelvic abscess diagnosis and drainage
- Ultrasonography in reproductive endocrinology, including assessment of female infertility and follicular monitoring, with induction of ovulation and IVF. Invasive procedures include percutaneous umbilical cord sampling and amniocentesis.
Danek Gertner Institute of Human Genetics
Progressive scientific research and clinical development is combined at this center to provide genetic testing for a wide variety of conditions, genetic counseling, premarital counseling, and prenatal counseling for expectant couples.
Professor Eyal Sivan, MD
Director, Josef Buchmann Gynecology and Maternity Center
Prof. Sivan graduated from the School of Medicine at Ben-Gurion University of the Negev and started his career at Sheba almost 30 years ago. He also specialized in maternal and fetal medicine at Temple University Hospital in Philadelphia, USA. Prof. Sivan is an associate professor at Tel Aviv University and has published more than 120 articles in premier international medical journals.
Jacob Korach, MD
Director, Gynecologic Oncology Department
Dr. Korah is a leading expert in several fields, including gynecologic oncology, obstetrics, gynecology, gynecologic surgery, cervical cancer, ovarian cancer, and uterine cancer. He specializes in cervical conization and fertility preservation for women diagnosed with cancer. Dr. Korach received his medical degree from the Sackler School of Medicine at TAU, and he completed a fellowship in gynecologic oncology at Beth Israel Hospital in NY and specialized in OB/GYN at Sheba Medical Center. He has co-authored over 30 articles in medical journals.
Professor Raoul Orvieto, MD
Director, IVF Unit Fertility Clinic
Prof. Orvieto has a particular interest in the diverse aspects of controlled ovarian hyperstimulation (COH) and preimplantation genetic screening (PGS). He has been the author and co-author of more than 250 publications in many prestigious national and international journals.
Roy Mashiach, MD
Vice Chair, Department of Gynecology
Head, Outpatient Gynecology Clinic
Head, Gynecologic Simulation Unit M.S.R
Dr. Mashiach completed his medical degree at the Sackler School of Medicine at TAU, with a specialization in gynecology. He did a fellowship in endoscopy at the Polyclinique de L’Hotel-Dieu, Universite d’Auvergne, Clermont, France. He oversees the full range of advanced gynecological surgical procedures provided at the Dept. of Gynecology.
At Sheba’s Gynecology and Maternity Center, our staff treats the whole patient – and not just her gynecological condition. We focus on your body, mind, and spirit to design individualized treatment programs to satisfy your unique needs. Our multidisciplinary experts take the time to develop a relationship with each patient, so we can partner with you to optimize your overall wellness. Our services span the gamut of women’s healthcare, from routine screening exams to specialized treatments – all provided conveniently under one roof.