CAR-T: A Novel Treatment for Leukemia at Sheba Medical Center
Leukemia, sometimes called “cancer of the blood,” is the most common malignancy among children. The symptoms of the disease can be devastating, and it is not uncommon for conventional therapies, like chemotherapy and radiation, to fail. Fortunately, efforts to find new and effective treatment options continue daily. One such novel treatment is now offered at Sheba Medical Center: CAR-T.
How Does CAR-T Therapy Work?
CAR-T treatment for leukemia is an innovative process that uses your own immune cells to seek and destroy cancerous cells.
After some blood is taken from the patient, the T-cells, a type of immune cell, are removed from the sample. Using advanced genetic engineering techniques, the T-cells are modified, causing them to create chimeric antigen receptors (CARs). These CARs program the T-cells to find and destroy cancer cells when injected back into the patient.
The patient receives chemotherapy while the modified T-cells grow in our laboratory. The chemotherapy dampens the patient’s immune system, permitting the CAR T-cells to do a better job of eliminating malignant cells.
Who Can Have CAR-T Treatment?
Potential patients need to have undergone at least two prior leukemia treatments. The CAR-T protocol requires hospitalization of at least two weeks, but same patients may need a longer observation period.
Great success has been achieved in young patients with CAR-T treatment. The following are the rates of complete recovery with this therapy:
- 85-90% in young children
- Approximately 80% in teenagers
- Around 70% of the entire patient population
Of course, Sheba continues to strive to further improve these rates through continuous research and retaining the best physicians.
If you have a loved one suffering from leukemia, contact us right away. We’ll be happy to answer all your questions and help in every possible way.
Sheba – Ranked In The Top Ten Best Hospitals Worldwide
Why Come to Sheba for CAR-T Therapy?
There are only a handful of medical facilities in the world that provide CAR-T therapy. There are many benefits to selecting Sheba Medical Center for your treatment. Here are a few:
- Sheba is fully accredited by the Joint Commission International (JCI), the recognized authority for international healthcare accreditation
- Sheba physicians are top tier specialists, with many having trained at premier cancer centers around the world.
- The fees at Sheba are transparent and affordable. As a government institution, Sheba has no hidden costs.
- We provide complete CAR-T therapy on site at Sheba. This means you receive all of your treatment under one roof.
- We help you every step of the way when you travel to Sheba for treatment. This includes arranging accommodations and providing you with an interpreter in your language.
Time is of the essence with disease like leukemia. Use this official Sheba website to contact us now and schedule a free consultation.