Hodgkin’s Lymphoma Survivors: Real Stories About the Benefits of Getting the Latest Treatments for Hodgkin’s Lymphoma in Israel
Learn how, with the help of Sheba Medical Center, Georgii and Maxim won their fight by receiving the latest treatments for Hodgkin’s Lymphoma.
Hodgkin’s lymphoma is a type of cancer that originates in the lymphatic system, which transports lymph, a fluid that contains disease-fighting white blood cells, and circulates through the body, much like blood does. In Hodgkin’s lymphoma, the cancerous cells originate from lymphocytes, a type of white blood cell that is part of the immune system, which undergoes a genetic mutation. The mutation tells the cell to multiply rapidly, generating many diseased cells that continue multiplying. This results in a large number of oversized, abnormal lymphocytes accumulating in the lymphatic system, where they crowd out healthy cells and cause the signs and symptoms of Hodgkin’s lymphoma. While Hodgkin’s lymphoma can affect people of any age, it is most common in people between the ages of 20 and 40, and those over 55. The latest treatments for Hodgkin’s lymphoma include chemotherapy, targeted therapy, radiation therapy, and bone marrow transplantation.
Meet Georgii and Maxim, Cancer Survivors Who Received the Latest Treatments for Hodgkin’s Lymphoma in Israel
After Georgii lost 8 kilograms for no apparent reason and started suffering from elevated temperatures, he decided to undergo testing. Soon after, he was diagnosed at a Moscow hospital with Hodgkin’s lymphoma. According to Georgii: “A friend of the family previously underwent treatment at Sheba Medical Center and recommended that we go there as soon as he heard the diagnosis,” and so “my mom and I went to Israel.”
Detailing his experiences in Israel, Georgii added: “I barely arrived in the country and had already started treatment … During my treatment, I went to Tel Aviv every day, walked on the shore, and breathed the salty sea air – and I feel that it has done wonders for my healing process. The second PET-CT scan showed that all the lumps in my lymph nodes were gone!” Nowadays, Georgii still has to go through checkups every couple of months, but, as he says: “Everything has mostly returned to normal.” When asked to describe his treatment in Israel Georgii told us: “I am really impressed by Israeli medicine. The entire medical staff working at Sheba Medical Center are wonderful – the nurses, my physician Dr. Assaf Barg, he was brilliant! Everybody was very kind and considerate to me.”
Things changed for Maxim in November 2015 after an X-ray revealed a massive superior mediastinum tumor in his chest. A few days later, following a biopsy, he was diagnosed with Hodgkin’s lymphoma. “I was shocked … Nobody wanted to believe it … Of course, I feared very much for my family and children … I thought that I was sentenced to death and nothing could be fixed,” Maxim told us. After receiving treatment in his native country, Maxim’s lymphoma went into remission, but soon relapsed. “I really thought that this was the end and I had no chance of survival, but inspired by my friends, I decided to seek treatment abroad,” said Maxim. According to Maxim, he chose Sheba Medical Center in Israel because “a good friend was working there.”
After receiving some of the latest treatments for Hodgkin’s lymphoma, including a bone marrow transplant, Maxim’s condition improved drastically: “I was very pleased with the result. Now I am healthy and happy!” When asked to describe his experience at Sheba, Maxim told us: “I was struck by the kind attitude of the entire staff. Everyone tried to support me, to cheer me up. Surprisingly, it didn’t feel as if I was staying in a hospital. I want to express my and my family’s gratitude to everyone who participated in this struggle.”
Benefits of Getting the Latest Treatments for Hodgkin’s Lymphoma in Israel
- Advanced Treatment: Medical institutions in Israel and the US often collaborate in advanced cancer research, developing new and effective treatments against the disease, yet Israel has fewer constraints than the US when it comes to adopting novel treatments. Israeli clinical trials still adhere to the highest standards of safety, but innovative treatments are generally made available to patients sooner than in the US.
- Quality of Care: Israeli physicians are exceptionally well-trained and often spend even more time on their medical education than American doctors. Also, you can be assured of high standards and strict safety regulations if you choose a hospital accredited by a trustworthy authority.
- Cost: In many countries, healthcare costs can be exorbitant. Without insurance, the costs of cancer treatment can be crippling. Prices are much lower in Israel, averaging 30-80% less than in the US, for example. That said, you’re not trading affordability for quality, since Israeli specialists, medical institutions, equipment, and procedures are among the most advanced in the world.
Where to Pursue the Latest Treatments for Hodgkin’s Lymphoma in Israel?
Having discovered a few of the many advantages of getting Hodgkin’s lymphoma treatment in Israel, where exactly should you pursue it? Sheba Medical Center is an exceptional choice. The largest hospital in Israel, and one of the 10 best hospitals in the world according to Newsweek magazine, Sheba is dedicated to providing patients with world-class medical care.
The advantages of receiving treatment at Sheba Medical Center include:
- Sheba’s 360-degree care approach to every patient, which means that Sheba’s professionals will assist you with arranging medical record reviews, travel, visas, accommodations, and language interpretation as needed.
- As a government institution, we have no hidden costs, and our fees are transparent. Although we offer advanced treatments that are available only in select medical institutions around the world, our prices are affordable.
- Sheba has full accreditation from the Joint Commission International (JCI), the premier international healthcare accrediting group.
- Sheba has both advanced treatment and laboratory facilities. At Sheba, patients receive every aspect of their treatment in a single facility.