Why Are People Going to Israel to Treat Cervical Cancer?
Cervical cancer is a type of cancer that originates in the cervix — the lowest part of the uterus that connects with the vagina. With over 500,000 new cases worldwide last year, cervical cancer is the fourth most commonly occurring cancer in women.
As with all cancers, early diagnosis and intervention are critical components for a better outcome. Top-notch cancer centers tailor cancer treatment plans directly to your needs, so it’s important to carefully consider where to undergo cervical cancer treatment.
Cervical Cancer Treatment Options in Israel
Cervical cancer patients may receive one or a combination of any of the following treatments based on their unique case:
- Conventional Chemotherapy – drugs used to remove, kill, or damage cancer cells
- Targeted Chemotherapy – drugs that target the cancer cell’s genes or proteins, and leave healthy cells alone
- Radiation Therapy – high doses of radiation are used to kill cancer cells
- Surgery – surgical procedures such as those used for biopsies and for tumor removal, including new, minimally invasive approaches
- Laser Therapy – high-intensity light is used to cut or destroy a tumor
- Brachytherapy – a specialized radiation therapy that uses radioactive implants to kill cancer cells with a higher dose of radiation on a smaller area for quicker results
Why Go to Israel for Brachytherapy?
Brachytherapy has been proven effective in eradicating cervical and prostate cancer cells. Here’s why you should consider brachytherapy for cervical cancer in Israel:
- Specialized Cervical Cancer Treatment. Brachytherapy is especially effective for cervical cancer. It involves the insertion of small, radioactive implants near the tumor to kill cancer cells without damaging healthy tissue. This type of internal radiation allows for a higher dose of radiation to a smaller area over a shorter period of time. Also, it may cause fewer side effects than external beam radiation. Brachytherapy is usually used in conjunction with other cancer treatments, like surgery or chemotherapy.
- Advanced Medical Technology. Although brachytherapy is not a new treatment, very few cancer centers offer the latest technology available in this procedure. Sheba Medical Center in Israel is one such medical institution that offers cutting edge techniques in brachytherapy, such as a specialized operating room customized with 3D imaging equipment and the high dose radiation (HDR) SMART SEED therapy.
- World-Renowned Cancer Specialists. Sheba Medical Center in Israel features an expert team of cancer specialists with vast experience treating cervical cancer with brachytherapy. Dr. Jacob Korach, MD, serves as the Director of the Gynecology Oncology Department. He is a lecturer at the Sackler School of Medicine, TAU, and has co-authored over 30 published papers. Dr. Shira Felder, MD, serves as Head of the Gynecology Oncology Service at the Radiation Oncology Department and is a well-known specialist in all forms of brachytherapy.
Personal Story – How Natalia Survived Cervical Cancer After Treatment at Sheba
Natalia was diagnosed with cervical cancer in 1994 at the young age of 22. After treatment, relapse, and even more aggressive treatment, she was finally cancer-free after 2 years. In 2011, she was diagnosed again. The only treatment she was offered in Moscow was chemotherapy, so she turned to Sheba Medical Center for help. She recounts how the operation and postoperative care at Sheba saved her life. Natalia is grateful for the professional, sensitive, and attentive way in which she was cared for at Sheba.
Sheba Medical Center – Your Destination for Cervical Cancer Treatment in Israel
Recently ranked as one of the world’s top ten hospitals by the prestigious Newsweek magazine, Sheba Medical Center is a popular tourist destination for cervical cancer treatment. As the biggest hospital in a country at the forefront of cancer research, Sheba offers individualized top-notch cancer care by world-renowned specialists.
Sheba Medical Center is fully accredited by the Joint Commission International (JCI) for what is considered a gold seal of approval in international healthcare. In addition, Sheba partners with MD Anderson Cancer Center, sharing research and expert medical staff.
The 360-degree approach at Sheba ensures that medical tourists receive outstanding care from inquiry and all the way through follow-up. Dedicated medical coordinators and case managers assist in everything from organizing travel to communicating with doctors.
Sheba Medical Center is committed to a holistic approach to medicine which considers each patient’s emotional and physical well-being and comfort.
Interested in learning more about cervical cancer treatment in Israel? Contact Sheba Medical Center to book a consultation.
Request a consultation
Ready to contact us for a consultation about your condition and our medical services? The staff of our Global Patient Services is ready to help.
Please select the appropriate button to get started.