Advanced Stage Pediatric Rhabdomyosarcoma Treatments in Israel
What Benefits Does Advanced Pediatric Rhabdomyosarcoma Treatment in Israel Offer?
With an advanced healthcare system, state-of-the-art facilities, and comparably lower costs, Israel is a leading choice for advanced stage rhabdomyosarcoma treatment.
In particular, RMS has a predilection for the head and neck area, and tumors in this location account for 40% of all pediatric rhabdomyosarcoma cases. Of these, around half are parameningeal rhabdomyosarcoma – defined as RMS that develops next to the membranes covering the brain, such as the nasal passages and nearby sinuses, middle ear, and the uppermost part of the throat.
A mutation in cells called rhabdomyoblasts, which normally develop into skeletal muscles, can result in the creation of RMS cells. The mutation causes these cells to multiply quickly and to go on living when healthy cells would normally die. The result is a mass (tumor) of malignant cells that can invade and destroy healthy body tissue.
Rhabdomyosarcoma is the most common pediatric soft tissue sarcoma, accounting for 3-5% of all childhood malignancies. It is most common in children younger than 10, but congenital rhabdomyosarcoma, which occurs in newborns, is relatively rare. RMS is also rare in adults, who are more likely to have faster-growing and metastatic disease.
Treatment of pediatric rhabdomyosarcoma can be complex, especially when dealing with relapsed or metastatic rhabdomyosarcoma, so it is crucial to choose a medical center staffed with top-tier cancer specialists and medical experts with experience in a wide range of disciplines for treatment. Pediatric rhabdomyosarcoma treatment plans in Israel take into account the tumor’s type, size, and location into consideration, and may include surgery, chemotherapy, targeted drugs, and radiation therapy.
In recent years, medical research has shed light on some of the main differences between normal cells and cancer cells. It is these differences, or mutations, which causes the latter to grow and spread out of control. This information led to the development of specialized drugs that can precisely identify and attack certain types of cancer cells.
Targeted therapy, officially classified as biological treatment, is a type of cancer treatment that uses these specialized drugs that target cancer cells while leaving healthy cells alone. Often a central part of pediatric rhabdomyosarcoma treatment in Israel, targeted therapy destroys cancer cells by blocking chemical signals that tell them to grow; changing proteins within the cells so they die; preventing new blood vessels from forming that would otherwise feed cancer cells; triggering the immune system to kill cancer cells; or sending toxins to the cancer cells to destroy them. Since these specialized drugs are made to only target specific cancer cells, targeted drugs can, in many cases, be more effective than chemotherapy, and they often have fewer side effects.
As cancer treatment research continues and advances, new and better targeted therapies are constantly being engineered. At Sheba, our skilled scientists and oncologists are leading the way in the clinical application of cutting-edge targeted therapies.
Reasons to Seek Pediatric Rhabdomyosarcoma Treatment in Israel
Quality of Care
Israeli physicians are exceptionally well-trained and often spend even more time on their medical education than American doctors. Also, you can be assured of high standards and strict safety regulations if you choose a hospital accredited by a trustworthy authority.
In many countries, healthcare costs can be exorbitant. Without insurance, the costs of cancer treatment can be crippling. Prices are much lower in Israel, averaging 30-80% less than in the US, for example. That said, you’re not trading affordability for quality, since Israeli specialists, medical institutions, equipment, and procedures are among the most advanced in the world.
Medical institutions in Israel and the US often collaborate in advanced cancer research, developing new and effective treatments against the disease, yet Israel has fewer constraints than the US when it comes to adopting novel treatments. Israeli clinical trials still adhere to the highest standards of safety, but innovative treatments are generally made available to patients sooner than in the US
Where to Pursue Treatment in Israel?
Having discovered a few of the many reasons to get pediatric rhabdomyosarcoma treatment in Israel, where exactly should you pursue it? Sheba Medical Center is an exceptional choice. As one of the 10 best hospitals in the world according to Newsweek magazine, Sheba is dedicated to providing patients with world-class medical care.
The advantages of receiving treatment at Sheba Medical Center include:
- Sheba is dedicated to performing procedures that minimize pain and suffering, with deep consideration for the physical and emotional needs of children.
- Antiangiogenesis: Antiangiogenesis is a breakthrough treatment for metastatic sarcoma, which inhibits the development of blood vessels that feed metastases. Research trials showed that in 46% of the patients who received the therapy, the enlargement of 31% of the metastases was stopped.
- As a government institution, we have no hidden costs, and our fees are transparent. Although we offer advanced treatments that are available only in select medical institutions around the world, our prices are affordable.
- Sheba treats each patient as a unique individual, personalizing every therapy program.
- Sheba’s 360-degree care approach to every patient, which means that Sheba’s professionals will assist you with arranging medical record reviews, travel, visas, accommodations, and language interpretation as needed.
- Sheba has full accreditation from the Joint Commission International (JCI), the premier international healthcare accrediting group.
- Sheba has both advanced treatment and laboratory facilities. At Sheba, patients receive every aspect of their treatment in a single facility.
- Our physicians are actively involved in the latest research and application of progressive treatments.
Request a consultation
Sheba Medical Center provides innovative, personalized medical care to patients from around the world. We are the largest, most comprehensive hospital in the Middle East and dedicated to providing advanced and compassionate medicine for everyone.
We welcome all cases, including the rarest and the most challenging. Our medical teams collaborate to provide the best possible health outcomes. From your initial inquiry through the long-term follow-up care, we are here for you.
Request a consultation and a Sheba Case Manager will contact you shortly: