Is Medulloblastoma in Adults Treatable?
Learn more about the advanced therapies available in Israel for the treatment of medulloblastoma in adults.
Medulloblastoma is a rare type of malignant central nervous system (CNS) tumor that most commonly forms in the cerebellum, the lower back part of the brain involved in muscle coordination, balance, and movement. Medulloblastoma tends to spread through the cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) — the fluid that surrounds and protects your brain and spinal cord — to other areas around the brain and spinal cord, and can also sometimes, yet rarely, spread to the lymphatic system or bones.
In adults, as well as children, all medulloblastoma tumors are categorized as grade IV tumors, which means they are fast-growing and malignant. In recent years, studies have identified a few different subtypes of medulloblastoma: classic medulloblastoma, desmoplastic medulloblastoma, medulloblastoma with extensive nodularity, large-cell medulloblastoma, and anaplastic medulloblastoma. The last two often occur together and are grouped as large cell anaplastic (LCA) tumors.
LCA medulloblastoma is an aggressive subtype most commonly associated with metastatic disease, which accordingly also has the worst prognosis.
Medulloblastoma can occur at any age, but mostly affects young children under the age of 15. Even though medulloblastoma is rare, it is the most common malignant brain tumor in children and accounts for about 15-20% of all pediatric brain tumors.
Treatment options for medulloblastoma in adults depend on the type and size of the tumor and include surgery, radiation therapy, chemotherapy, targeted therapy, and in some cases bone marrow transplantation.
In recent years, medical research has shed light on some of the main differences between normal cells and cancer cells. It is these differences, or mutations, that cause the latter to grow and spread out of control. This information led to the development of specialized drugs that can precisely identify and attack certain types of cancer cells.
Targeted therapy, officially classified as biological treatment, is a type of cancer treatment that uses these specialized drugs that target cancer cells while leaving healthy cells alone. Targeted therapy destroys cancer cells by blocking chemical signals that tell them to grow; changing proteins within the cells so they die; preventing new blood vessels from forming that would otherwise feed cancer cells; triggering the immune system to kill cancer cells; or sending toxins to the cancer cells to destroy them. Since these specialized drugs are made to only target specific cancer cells, targeted drugs can, in many cases, be more effective than chemotherapy, and they often have fewer side effects.
As cancer treatment research continues and advances, new and better targeted therapies are constantly being engineered. At Sheba, our skilled scientists and oncologists are leading the way in the clinical application of cutting-edge targeted therapies.
Benefits of Choosing Israel for the Treatment of Medulloblastoma in Adults
- Quality of Care: Israeli physicians are exceptionally well-trained and often spend even more time on their medical education than American doctors. Also, you can be assured of high standards and strict safety regulations if you choose a hospital accredited by a trustworthy authority.
- Cost: In many countries, healthcare costs can be exorbitant. Without insurance, the costs of cancer treatment can be crippling. Prices are much lower in Israel, averaging 30-80% less than in the US, for example. That said, you’re not trading affordability for quality, since Israeli specialists, medical institutions, equipment, and procedures are among the most advanced in the world.
- Advanced Treatment: Medical institutions in Israel and the US often collaborate in advanced cancer research, developing new and effective treatments against the disease, yet Israel has fewer constraints than the US when it comes to adopting novel treatments. Israeli clinical trials still adhere to the highest standards of safety, but innovative treatments are generally made available to patients sooner than in the US
Where to Pursue Medulloblastoma Treatment in Israel?
Having discovered a few of the many advantages of receiving adult medulloblastoma treatment in Israel, where exactly should you pursue it? Sheba Medical Center is an exceptional choice. One of the 10 best hospitals in the world according to Newsweek magazine, Sheba is dedicated to providing patients with world-class medical care.
The advantages of receiving treatment at Sheba Medical Center include:
- As a government institution, we have no hidden costs, and our fees are transparent. Although we offer advanced treatments that are available only in select medical institutions around the world, our prices are affordable.
- Sheba treats each patient as a unique individual, personalizing every therapy program.
- Sheba’s 360-degree care approach to every patient, which means that Sheba’s professionals will assist you with arranging medical record reviews, travel, visas, accommodations, and language interpretation as needed.
- Sheba has full accreditation from the Joint Commission International (JCI), the premier international healthcare accrediting group.
- Sheba has both advanced treatment and laboratory facilities. At Sheba, patients receive every aspect of their treatment in a single facility.
- Our physicians are actively involved in the latest research and application of progressive treatments.